OMC intermediate question

Redrig

Master Chief Petty Officer
Hello all ,

I need a favor from my OMC brethren.

Does anyone have a hydro or mechanical (78-85) stringer and either has their drive off , or an old intermediate laying around that you can take a measurement for me ?

Can you measure me the size of hole for the shift cable ? drill bit , micro , something that will give me the diameter of that hole .

reason why - I am converting from electric to mechanical and need to enlarge that hole for fatter shift cable .

thank you much !

southkogs

Staff member
REDRIG - I was hoping someone else could answer. My old boat is not too far away, and I know the people who have it. But we have a hard time getting together because our schedules are usually way off. If I get over there in the next week or so, I'll catch a measurement on it for you.

Redrig

southkogs . I appreciate it , but dont make a special trip over it. I am sure I can find it sooner or later.

I have the mechanical shift cable of course and can measure that , but that is probably not the best approach, I would rather get it straight off a mechanical intermediate.

Redrig

Hey all ,

I have another question regarding the intermediate housing .

This past weekend I took out my intermediate driveshaft from my boat to replace the ball gear. It had 2 shims on it , I mangled them while removing so they need to be replaced.

my question is. When ordering the new ones , should I keep them the exact same ? or add maybe .001 or .002 to account for bearing wear ? (bearings look good and same with the splines , so that is good news)

I am leaning towards keeping the shims the exact same , but figured I would ask the pros

thanks in advance

kenny nunez

Captain
Since the bearings are good try to salvage the shims or try to obtain the same ones from one of the OMC suppliers. There is a tool that sets the shim stack and without it there is no way to get it right.

Redrig

Sounds like a plan , thanks Kenny I will just get exact replacements