OMC Cobra 5.0 Ford HU Low pressure fuel pump question

Reelly Fun

Recruit
I have a 1995 FourWinns 190 Horizon runabout in/out board, I cannot find the location of the fuse for the low pressure fuel pump. somehow I do not hear the low pressure fuel pump turn on when I turn on my ignition which tells me that the pump is not working properly. Can someone please help give me any ideas on how to identify this issue so I can get back on the water. Please please help.

alldodge

Staff member
Listing as a HU series motor, so is this EFI ?

All fuel pumps use a relay to turn them ON. The fuel pump does not turn ON with the key in the RUN position and the motor not running.

The Yellow/Red wire energizes the relay while the motor is being started (cranking)
Once the motor starts the relay is held energized by the alternator output or ECM

Reelly Fun

Recruit
This motor is EFI. The manual mentions that there is a 12.5 amp circuit breaker and a 50 amp fuse connection from the battery to the fuel pump relay. I found the circuit breaker close to the fuel pump. But I cannot find the 50 amp fuse to check if it's blown.

Attachments

• photo308255.jpg
    photo308255.jpg
    994.7 KB · Views: 24

Horigan

Chief Petty Officer
The 50 amp breaker is just left of the forward engine hoist (when looking aft at the engine), on the left side of your picture. You can see the red breaker in the picture. There are three breakers in that area below the main engine wire harness.

However, I don't believe you get any power if that breaker is open, so your issue is probably something else if you're still getting power to your dash.

alldodge

Staff member
Then this should be your wiring, its for the 5.0 and 5.8 VP Fuel Pumps.JPG

Ford 5.8.jpg

Larson220

Seaman Apprentice
I have the same engine in my boat. As per the diagrams that alldodge posted you can see wiring schematic.
There should be a realy next to the low pressure fuel pump. From your picture i cannot tell if the relay is in that location. If you are missing the relay, or the connections from the wiring is somehow not making a good connection it will not turn on the pump.
When I first bought my boat i had this issue.
Some cleaning if the connector and a new relay, and the boat was running.
Good luck.