Stuck Drain plugs on outdrive.

Keyboardman

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi Guys, I've been having a fit trying to get the three water drain plugs and the bottom oil drain plugs out on my Cobra outdrive. Looks like some previous owner put some red colored sealer on them and they won't budge. I've tried every thing including an impact screwdriver and even my air impact gun and they won't break loose. The slots are getting even more chewed up than when I started out. I was thinking of maybe trying heat on the surrounding area? Last resort would be drilling and using an EZ-Out? Might be tricky drilling just right on the lower oil plug due to the location. Would hate to drill off center an totally screw up the case! Any ideas, tricks or tips? Thanks in advance!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
either a small butane torch or a heat gun. you will most likely blister the paint.

Keyboardman

Petty Officer 1st Class
Propane torch it is then. Not worried about the paint, most is already gone. Thanks guys!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
heat the plug directly....let cool a bit, then heat the area around the plug, and immediately smack the plug with your impact driver

then get a new plug, o-rings, etc.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
The plugs are still available from BRP, they need to have that o ring intact as well. The ONLY thing to put on them is a sealer like OMC gasket sealer, Merc Perfect Seal or Permatex Aviation. 16 years moored in salt water 6 months out of the year and mine always come out.
PS when you get the drain and fill plugs out, BRP switched to allen style ones that I have had on my Cobra about 10 years. They are much easier to get out than the conventional style. Always replace the fiber gaskets too.