OMC Cobra Model Numbers and Parts

OreoKev

Cadet
So I’ve been digging around a lot and am having trouble finding parts for my specific engine. It’s a 1990 OMC Cobra 5.0, the boat is a 1990 Four Winn’s 205 Sundowner (also can’t find any replacement parts for this boat). I can’t seem to find anything on which exact model mine is and a good place to get replacement parts I’ve posted the model labels in the picture if anyone can help me out would be greatly appreciated, took the boat out a couple of times, the starter is dying but I found one on Amazon for 99$ also it seems to have trouble planning out quickly and likes to bog down when trying to go full speed.

Attachments

• photo306624.jpg
    photo306624.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo306625.jpg
    photo306625.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo306626.jpg
    photo306626.jpg
    640.3 KB · Views: 0

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
One of your photos has a part number for a 2.3L engine.

Your correct part number you need to order parts with is going to look something like

502APRPWS if it's a 1990

or
502APRMED if it's a 1989

Look for a sticker on the engine somewhere for numbers that look like that.

OreoKev

Cadet
The 2.7 is the sterndrive plaque. The other picture is the only thing on the motor that I could find.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Well, I hope you don't actually have a sterndrive for a 2.3L on there. For one thing, the ratio would be all messed up. The other thing that I am not too sure about is that I believe the 2.3 drive had a completely different and smaller prop shaft than what would be on a V8 drive.

OreoKev

Cadet
Typo on my last I meant 2.3L, but yes I understand that, that’s why I’m confused the sterndrive runs fine with the motor and the motor is for sure a V8 5.0L, I’m pulling the sterndrive and motor this week and going to just tear most of it apart and and rebuild a lot, should be fun, looks like most Ford Small Block parts will fit as far as new stainless pulley and etc.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
I'm agreeing with Bruce here, if that's really a 2.3 liter Ford drive the gearing will put that Ford V8 past its redline at WOT. In the early years (I think up to 1990) the lower units for the 4 cyls were smaller with a smaller prop shaft. Later models got the same unit as the V6 and V8s but with 4 cyl gearing. What is the WOT rpm on this engine/drive combo?

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
So I’ve been digging around a lot and am having trouble finding parts for my specific engine. It’s a 1990 OMC Cobra 5.0, the boat is a 1990 Four Winn’s 205 Sundowner

Howdy,

Since you could have a drive that was originally intended for a 2.3L 4-cyl engine, you may have to remove the top cap and count teeth on the gears to determine for sure the ratio (but that won't tell you the lower ratio)

It may be easier to simply remove the spark plugs and turn the engine (in FWD gear) enough times to determine the over all drive ratio.

(2.00:1 is 2 engine revolutions for every 1 prop rotation, 1.5:1 is 3 engine turns is 2 prop turns etc)

When you know that, you'll know how you should proceed with engine tune up(if required) , prop selection etc.

In any case, if the boat runs "ok", take it out and run it at WOT (wide open throttle) trim the drive for maximum speed and note the max speed (phone GPS etc) and MAX RPM

Here's where there is sometimes a problem since many boat tachometers are WAY off at the top of the range. If you can either find another tach, or borrow a shop tach, you'll need to definitely verify your tach.

According to the OMC manual, (search for Boatinfo manuals page 2-58 be patient... their site is snail-slow to load)

A 1989 5.0 has a recommended 4000-4400 WOT RPM

A 1990 5.0 has a recommended 4200-4600 WOT RPM
Both years used a 1.59:1 drive

To get the best performance, you need to select a drive ratio + prop pitch to obtain a WOT RPM at or near the max recommended RPM when operating with the boat loaded at the typical load (weight) you'll normally run it AND at the pressure altitude where you normally boat. (this is industry "Standard" for most all planing type boats I/O Outboard and Inboard)

if you use the wrong prop or the wrong drive ratio, your performance will probably be less than max. I.E, if you use a markedly higher ratio drive that requires you to use a markedly LOW pitch prop, (Or a low pitch drive with a very high pitch prop to compensate) it may not perform as good as it could with the recommended ratio

Ratios are listed in the Boatinfo manual on page 12-73

If yours performed ok (originally) with a 1.59:1 drive and a 17p prop, and you now have a 2.00:1 drive, you may have to use a 21p prop etc

You can use a prop-slip calculator to get in the ballpark if you don't have a decent starting point.
http://www.go-fast.com/Prop_Slip_Calculator.htm

It's imperative to know the WOT SPEED, RPM, ratio and prop pitch to even know if you're in the ballpark!

Cheers,

Rick