Installing a new Gimbal Bearing with engine out---OMC Cobra

ab59

Ensign
I'm slowly getting this starcraft back together again and need to install the new gimbal bearing . The 5.7 is still out of the boat and I want to install the bearing then the outdrive and dunk the boat to check the new transom for leaks BEFORE I reinstall the engine again.
I have a bearing install kit that you drill a hole in the alignment bar and fix a bearing sized disk onto the bar and drive the bearing into place.
I have not installed the pivot or bellows yet and have only the gimbal housing looking out .
Would there be any problem in doing this without an engine to help guide the bearing into place or am I good to go ?
I have read that many do not like this type of bearing installer tool but it's what I have and what I will be using .

Bondo

Staff member
then the outdrive and dunk the boat to check the new transom for leaks BEFORE I reinstall the engine again.

Ayuh,..... I'd do what ya gotta do to put the drive on, 'n leave the gimbel bearin' out,.....
The drive oughta fully seat without it,....

Or, with the gimbel housin' off, ya might be able to start the bearin' in, 'n drive it with a aluminum punch, 'n a BFHammer,....

ab59

Ensign
got it . I used the bearing driver puck , a rock hounds hammer and a 2 lb double jack and worked it in tapping round and round to get it to go in with out a bind. worked good.

thanks