Late 70s 350 SBC rebuild confusion

salvageyard saviour

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I also learned from the Cliff Ruggles' QuadraJet website, different thermostats can move the link rod up or down for the model of Quad you have.

aimlow

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Point is..you've got 283, 302, 305, 307, 350...all esentially the same block from the exterior.

salvageyard saviour

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I guess the divorced choke would be mounted the same on any of those.

If you mean, am I sure the ones I've been mentioning are 350's ?
I've checked the casting and engine codes - one is a 78 (165 HP) and the other is 85 (Crate engine /no HP listed) - both 4 Bolt main 350.

aimlow

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I guess the divorced choke would be mounted the same on any of those.

If you mean, am I sure the ones I've been mentioning are 350's ?
I've checked the casting and engine codes - one is a 78 (165 HP) and the other is 85 (Crate engine /no HP listed) - both 4 Bolt main 350.

165 hp is pretty puny for a 350. That's not even 1/2 hp/cu.in. Just don't rely 100% on casting #'s. 305's use a smaller diameter bore, but stroke is identical. Blocks are physically identical otherwise, except for bore casting. I forget how 307's and 327's fit in the mix.

salvageyard saviour

Petty Officer 2nd Class
That was on NastyZ website that I looked those up on. Also using Engine codes and date stamps. I think I heard Chevy was really dogging the bigger C.I.'s in the late 70's for emission standards. But you're right They did a lot of weird things that they didn't document right.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
you did bore/hone the block and put new pistons in, correct?

aimlow

Petty Officer 2nd Class
If you block the heat crossover, the choke will not open correctly if you use the heat well set-up.

Brien S

Seaman
Quadrajet's are great carbs., and can be tuned to handle big hp. I'd stick with it as your planning. Because of the small primaries, off idle crispness is much better than anything else when tuned right. They used 3 basic choke styles. Hot air style that had tubes that ran from the intake to the carb mounted choke, divorced style like you have that has the coil mounted to the intake, and electric that requires a sending unit mounted in a water jacket (usually in the intake or thermostat housing in the automotive world). 165hp from a smog era 350 is about right. Everything back then was wimpy. Take my old GMC camper special I had. Had a BB 454 with a m4mc (modified modified and with a hot air style choke) Qjet that was only rated at 245hp. That's awful for a BBC. If rebuilt correctly you could easily hit 250+hp, and can be done fairly cheaply.
Did you check bearing clearances with at least plasti gauge ? If the mains are to loose you will lose oil pressure when warm, and rods, well that will be self explanatory.
Did you check piston and ring clearances ? Ring gap should be .004 -.005 per inch of bore, but if you installed new, use the manufactures specs.
As far as cams go, you want something that has a power band from off idle or 1200rpm to 5 or 5500rpm, about 106 or 108 center line, and no more than 268-270 advertised duration. Lunati and Crane make great cams.
Another good option is to get a late model roller cam engine as previous mentioned, and opens up a whole new field with the variety of roller cams out there. Just using a roller cam will of a similar profile will give a small power increase just from eliminating the drag of the lifters. The nice thing with roller cams is more lift while maintaining a moderate duration.

salvageyard saviour

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks for all the input. I used the plate Felpro gave to block the one side opposite the choke. It has a hole in it, so it's not completely closed. I Did the carb kit, but don't have the money yet for the choke thermostat or cover and linkage. More time than money these days.

Yes, I did plasti-gage the clearances and hone the cylinders. Didn't mention it, assumed it was a given to do. The pistons were not new but nearly ( at most 2 hrs use ) They came out of a rebuild that sat awhile and mice made a home in 2 of the cylinders (trashed those 2) That was also the donor of the crank that went into the 85 that had the burned mains. (after all my user name is Salvageyard saviour )

It's all put together. Attached are photos. If you notice the missing spacer under the Quad, don't worry, it's there now.

Haven't compression tested yet. don't have a starter that fits the automatic application flywheel that's on it. (it's the only one that will fit while on the engine stand)
20181222_105525.jpg20181222_105547.jpg

Attachments

• 20181222_105525.jpg
    20181222_105525.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0