Intro & Tilt Clutch? and maybe other questions

Mar10

Cadet
Hello everyone. A little intro.first off i love this site very informative. Im new to the boating world. and bought my wife a boat for xmas. she has more experience with them as she grew up with house boats and watersports. but after going out on the water last weekend with her i now have a new hobby. i work on lots of things so tinkering and fixing things is just a way of life for me.
any way i bought her a 84 v hull with an OMC 3.0 and OMC sterndrive from my research its a 400 stringer. in great shape. with manual included
model # 802STHRCRA serial# J 794737 outdrive model # 988486 serial # J 384707
which leads to my first Question. looking to the OMC model number guide. for over an hour and a half. i can't find my model number. if any one can see it.let me know what page its on. or I'm thinking i have the first 8 mistaken for what is a 3.
second question i have is on the tilt clutch gear the adjustment screw inside. there is supposed to be a 1/2 - 20 nylon bolt to cover the hole. ( mine was broken) im assuming since i have remnants of one it needs to be closed off .and i can't seem to find one locally or know what the part # or what to call it to find it on line. i did find a metal allen head bolt that fits. will it be ok to use it instead ? or does it have to be nylon?
right now i am currently looking for the zerk fitting to grease the steering shaft coming out of the intermediate. but like everyone else i can't seem to find it. i have seen a couple pictures of its location but have failed to locate it.
i have found and greased the one above the cavitation plate and that one made my steering super easy.
any way im gonna stop with these questions for now. as im sure i will have more in the future. thank you for your time and apologies for being long winded

southkogs

Staff member
Welcome aboard:

It's a 3. That's your model number for both the engine and the sterndrive. The 988 number you listed is the part number on the housing.

Look for part number 0311598 and see if that's the bushing you're looking for. It's still available if that's the part you're looking for on the clutch assembly.

I don't know of the zerk on the steering. I would have assumed you have tru-course steering going to the gear at the top of the upper gear case. I didn't have that type, so I'm not sure where the zerk is.

Mar10

Cadet
Thanks Southkogs.The part I was referring to is 0911213. (I just found it. It’s amzing what pops up when you have the right model number 😊) It’s referred as a pipe plug, tilt clutch on marineengine.com

the manual I have is the one pictured it shows a grease fitting on the steering shaft that comes out.but I’m thinking mine must be different than the one in the manual. I dunno when I look up at it I think it would be very obvious but I see nothing there but the gear and casting

also so is the manual I have (pictured) the same as the one they sell on marineengine.com? Theirs and mine are seloc but the covers are different just asking before I purchase one of theirs

Attachments

• photo305372.jpg
    photo305372.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • photo305373.jpg
    photo305373.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0

southkogs

Staff member
The forum is going to block out many other websites you list on here: iBoats is an online retailer, and they provide the forums for members. So, you're site references are showing up. Which is not a problem:

The general presumption on Seloc and Clymer manuals are that their best use - in the words of Bondo - are as knee pads while you're working on the engine. Find the service manual - you're going to want it. You can look for it HERE. Another place that I used quite a bit was HERE. Click on PARTS, then select STERN DRIVE from the drop down. iBoats doesn't have too many of the Stringer parts or the manual. I'd check with them first because you do get a discount as a forum member, but you'll have to do some hunting on a lot of parts.

I can see where they say you have a zerk fitting on the intermediate over the tilt motor. But my intermediate was different and definitely didn't have it. I'm guessing that's to grease the ball gear shaft, but maybe kenny nunez or Lou C may know better.

Mar10

Cadet
Thanks for the tips.
The zerk I’m referring to is the steering shaft that comes out of the intermediate. Just behind/below the steering gear. My ball gear doesn’t have one. But I’m guessing my steering shaft doesn’t have one either I appreciate the response I’m sure I will have others 👍

wrench 3

Commander
You're correct about the grease fitting for the steering shaft. On the later models they improved the shaft seal and removed the grease fitting.

froggy1150

Senior Chief Petty Officer
On mine I know there are 2 on the inside. I don't remember if there was one outside but I can look tonight or tomorrow.

Mar10

Cadet
Are you talking about the ones in the engine compartment? I have yet to find those too. thanks meanwhile I’ll keep searching

froggy1150

Yes om mine they are both on the intermediate sticking straight out horizontal next to the steering shaft on each side of the cable drum. I didn't notice mine at first cuz the little rubber covers were painted same color as housing

Mar10

Cadet
Thanks! I’ll have to get in there somehow to get a closer look. sounds pretty straight forward so I hope they easy to locate.

froggy1150

So got a chance to get outside today and I have 2 grease fittings. One is inside above where starter is and the other is hard to find. It's behind the steering gear pointing straight down. Because I have things apart I was able to pull gear out a little to get the picture

Attachments

• photo305717.jpg
    photo305717.jpg
    836.9 KB · Views: 1
  • photo305718.jpg
    photo305718.jpg
    915 KB · Views: 1
  • photo305719.jpg
    photo305719.jpg
    957.9 KB · Views: 1

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Just an FYI... 1984 3.0/stringers were silver in color. the blue color is from an older motor. my guess is the motor was swapped at some point.

kenny nunez

Captain
Do you have the True Course cable that drives the steering shaft as well as the matching helm assembly ?

Mar10

Cadet
Ah! Ok I see now! I’ll get out there tomorrow morning and see if they are there. Thank you for the pics that gives me a very good idea where to look.
Yes mine is silver in color and yes I have the truecourse that drives the steering shaft and matching at the helm. I did adjust it to the specs in the manual I have. and also had to tighten the wheel. Cause when we took it out for the first Time the steering wheel was loose. And have made adjustments to the tab on the cavitation plate. (I forget what it’s called) cause it was hard to turn to port at slow speeds. Thank you all for all the info. It is much appciated. 😊

kenny nunez

Captain
Before you install the drive turn the helm lock to lock then split the turns, on the drive be sure the drive is straight ahead.
The shift cable should be started through the hole in the intermediate housing with the battery disconnected so that the shift cable wires do not short and melt.