Visible exhaust port manifold

foilled

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Cold start where i could see tons of exhaust. Opened bilge and it looked like some exhaust floating straight up from exhaust mainfold. Didnt last too long at all. Assume exhaust manifold gasket leak. Or any other opinions?

Redrig

Master Chief Petty Officer
IDK what engine you are working on , but sure it could be a riser manifold , or any other connection point like the rubber exhaust hose mating up to another steel piece.

But I would take it very seriously and get it fixed ASAP , you could hydrolock your engine if water drains down through the leak and into the exhaust ports of your engine.

Bondo

Staff member
Cold start where i could see tons of exhaust. Opened bilge and it looked like some exhaust floating straight up from exhaust mainfold. Didnt last too long at all. Assume exhaust manifold gasket leak. Or any other opinions?

Ayuh,..... Whatcha workin' on,..??..??

foilled

Petty Officer 2nd Class
IDK what engine you are working on , but sure it could be a riser manifold , or any other connection point like the rubber exhaust hose mating up to another steel piece.

But I would take it very seriously and get it fixed ASAP , you could hydrolock your engine if water drains down through the leak and into the exhaust ports of your engine.

Definitely appeared to float up dead center of the manifold where not much is around except where manifold mates with block, otherwise i saw the exhaust the last time boat was started to winterize it. Its now sitting full on antifreeze. Safe to wait to spring?

Redrig

Master Chief Petty Officer
The last time you ran it , was the engine louder than normal ? sounds like the manifold is loose where its bolted to the head and that I would think make it louder than hell.

I believe it is safe from hydrolock now that its winterized

I would pick up some new exhaust manifold gaskets (manifold/ head) and also some new manifold / riser gaskets and tackle that job in the spring and give everything a good cleaning and visual inspection while it is off

foilled

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The last time you ran it , was the engine louder than normal ? sounds like the manifold is loose where its bolted to the head and that I would think make it louder than hell.

I believe it is safe from hydrolock now that its winterized

I would pick up some new exhaust manifold gaskets (manifold/ head) and also some new manifold / riser gaskets and tackle that job in the spring and give everything a good cleaning and visual inspection while it is off

Id suspect if there was a leak it would have been there for a bit of time now. Its hard to say if its louder than it was at one point as boat is new to me. But no not necessarily louder than last time i ran it. Ive heard pretty loud ticking from engine that goes away (or cant hear) as you increase speed and rpm. Although the ticking doesnt happen everytime engine runs which is weird and didnt hear it this last time i ran it.