OMC Transom Seal 1968-1971

Muso

Cadet
Hello everyone im from Argentina and I own a Paglietini Gacelux(made here) with an OMC stringer i think it is previous to 1971.
Last month I realize that there was water inside, so after checking the transom seal my fears become true, there was a great gash in the upper side of it.
Here in Argentina you can only get the square transom(price arround U$D400) and the transom I need is the round one. I searched in amazon and ebay of US as well but it seems that there is no more available there.
My question is if anybody knows a local shop to buy one round transom that still available since I will be in Florida the next week.
Thank you all.

Attachments

• photo304466.jpg
    photo304466.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
You can find them, however doubt you will find one in stock. Find one on-line, order it and have delivered to where you are staying

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Im not positive, however I believe you could get the 16 hole 1967-1977 seal (first of the squar-ish) and a new seal backing ring. kenny nunez may know

Redrig

Master Chief Petty Officer
get on ebay . I see them all the time = OMC 313080

and have it sent to where you are staying in the US as Scott mentioned .

Sorry - didnt realize that you have the older style completely round one , if you are able to confirm that the 72-77 will work those 313080 are readily available , it would probably just mean drilling new holes in the transon for the larger seal area.

Last edited:

froggy1150

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I think I remember reading another post from him and he is trying to restore to factory original condition so he needs round if possible

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Lou C , the OP has the fully round, pre 1967(1962-1967 ) limited use (read nearly impossible to find cheap) seal.

fetch

I believe the intermediate housing collar dimension is the same when they went to the 16 hole one, so for the $100 seal and $50 retaining ring I would be willing to go that route and drill holes vs the $400 seal.

http://hhscott.com/evinrude/omc_stringer.htm
480_production.jpg

Muso

Cadet
Thank you all for the advice, i think i will go for the squar-ish because it will be easier to find if it breaks again.Then i will upload of how it looks mounted.:encouragement:

kenny nunez

Captain
Transom seal
I would go with the 0911827 plate & 0909527 seal from Seaway Marine. The perfectly round one was not used much after 1970. So if you located one I cannot believe that it would still be as good just from age.
Make sure that the stringers are solid so that the engine does not move and tear the new seal.
Small rodents also like the taste of the seals so I hope there are none in your area.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Thank you all for the advice, i think i will go for the squar-ish because it will be easier to find if it breaks again.Then i will upload of how it looks mounted.:encouragement:

That really does make sense because like any I/O boat the seal on a Stringer or in the case of a Cobra the bellows is a maintenance item. The rubber lasts a certain amount of time then it starts to get brittle from oxidation and cracks. So to go with the style of seal that is more available makes sense. If fact I would probably buy a spare one, and keep it in the box for when I needed to change it the next time.