84 omc. I spark

Jimrod

Recruit
i have an 84 omc . Motor was running until I changed out an exhaust elbow and carb gasket. Tans for a few minutes and then shut off. I have new carb, new points and condenser . The center wire from the coil to the center of the distributor has a spark when I disconnect and hold it near a grounded metal. Just no spark to the plugs. Any ideas or advice. Thanks

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
If the coil sparks but the plugs dont. Its either distributor cap/rotor or wires

aimlow

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Or weak spark. Rule of thumb on a condenser..if the points aren't burned, keep the original condenser. Remember, the spark occurs when the points OPEN. Ford or Chevy engine?

Jimrod

Recruit
Changed out the points and fired right up. Now the engine starts and idles great, but will not rev up past 2500 rpms. Took her out and under 2500 rpm runs awesome. But after 2500 starts to runs bad. Any ideas ?
thanks

Maclin

Admiral
How did you set the points gap? Did you check the dwell, and adjust points as needed to get into the proper dwell range? Then set timing after dwell was in range?

Regarding the points, you have not stated the engine model but did you have any parts left over after installing the points? There is a reason I am asking.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
agree with Maclin. did you set the points?

point service in a nutshell:
install points
file points (all points, new or used need to be filed. if new, it cleans them, if used, it trues the surface and cleans them)
gap points (feeler gauges, matchbook cover, etc. all work to get initial setting)
check dwell (this is critical)
adjust dwell as needed
install distributor cap and rotor
fire motor
adjust idle (because it may have changed)
adjust timing (because it WILL have changed)