Winterizing OMC 460 King Cobra

NovaScotian

Cadet
Hey guys. I have a 1990 four winns 265 vista with a 460 king cobra that im working on winterizing. Wondering how many drain plugs there are on the motor and drive, and their locations. Ive searched through a lot of threads but havent came across my exact engine...

Or if anyone has a link to a good service manual, that would be great.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
http://www.crowleymarine.com/support/tech_articles/omc-cobra-winterization-procedure.html

First, the engine oil and filter should be changes, as well as the outdrive gear oil. Be sure to follow the procedure exactly as it is described there, that is the right way to do it...
Then the engine is warmed up and fogged through the carb, the idea is to stall it but it may not stall, you may need to get an assistant to shut it off so it does not burn off all the fogging oil.

Although the 460 (7.5 liter) Ford is not listed in this document, they are all pretty similar. There are 2 drains for the engine block, one on each side, use a small adjustable wrench to loosen them (normal size ones won't usually fit in the tight space under there) and a pick or thin screwdriver to poke the holes to make sure both sides drain. The port side drain is toward the rear of the block and the starboard side one is also toward the rear, under the P/S cooler. I like to put OMC gasket sealer on the threads of all the metal drain plugs.
Then disconnect the bottom end of the large hose at the engine circulation pump, that drains a good amount of water. Drain both exhaust manifolds the same way, they use a rubber cap on the end of the manifold you just have to remove the hose clamp to drain, then poke the holes. The P/S cooler is accessible on the 460s and you can drain it via a plug on the bottom end. I also disconnect the hose that leads up from it to the thermo housing then hold it down to drain.

There are 3 drains on the pivot housing of the outdrive (2 on starboard, 1 on port), the one that usually drains water is on the port side, remove the plug and poke the hole, water should come out...I like to fill that hose from the themo housing to the transom with -100, this will flush out the hose, transom hose and the impeller housing, some AF may come out that drain hole in the pivot housing, and out of the drive water intakes. After it drains, put some OMC gasket sealer on the threads and replace the drain plugs. On the starboard side, the upper one usually does not drain water but check anyway. The lower one is a drain for the pocket where the shifter bellcrank sits, there should not be water there but if there is, let it drain. If you get water there, the drive should be removed and that area should be cleaned out and packed with OMC triple guard grease to keep water out. This you may prefer to leave to a mechanic, but pulling the drive should also be done at the end of each season.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
PS, you should look up your engine model # on that site I linked to above. Because if your '90 boat has a '90 drive system, then the engine may be the same, but the outdrive may be the King Cobra with the cone clutch, which is different than the drive used in previous years with the 460 engine (while this was called a King Cobra too it used dog clutch shifting, totally different design and the transom assembly is totally different too). The drains on the engine should all be the same, but there may not be the same 3 plugs on the pivot housing. You could post up a pic of what you have then we could say what it is….

http://www.crowleymarine.com/johnson-evinrude/1383.cfm <----King Cobra Cone Clutch (90 and up)
http://www.crowleymarine.com/johnson-evinrude/887.cfm <----King Cobra Dog Clutch (89 and older)

its not unusual for a boat to have a drive package that is a year older. So your boat could have either.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Hey guys. I have a 1990 four winns 265 vista with a 460 king cobra

Howdy,

Your model numbers could be one of the following.

754APEPWS 1990

460AMLMED 1989
460APRMED 1989

If you have the 90 model, you also have the Spitfire ignition. If it's running good, start looking now for a replacement ignition system for the inevitable ignition module failure. There's no replacement (except used) for it.

Most people replace the entire ignition system with a suitable (marine) distributor......... Also, if it's a 90, your drive is VERY rare and parts for it are hard (or impossible) to find. Treat it very gently!

If it's an 89 model, you're in better shape! Ignition parts are more readily available and the drive is more supportable.

In either case, if you do not have spare exhaust manifolds, and yours are currently Ok, start looking for replacements now.

Your only choices will probably be used since they're not made anymore....the only other choices are aftermarket stainless steel or I think CP Performance some sort of 460 manifold kits at around $3000

If you REALLY like the boat and you want to keep it..........keep it running while you look for a complete replacement Big-Block Mercruiser Bravo III or Volvo DuoProp package. That's what I did with my 87 Four Winns 211 Liberator in my Sig.

Any boat with an 460 King Cobra is a ticking $$$ "Bomb"

Good Luck......

Rick