1989 four winns motor swap

Ppichey

Cadet
Hi,I have a 1989 four winns 200 candia with a 5.7 Chevy motor and omc outdrive.i am looking to change the block because it is cracked.my question is,I have found a marine motor that has a casting number that says it’s an 1980-1985 motor,would I be able to use this and be able to bolt on all of my parts from my 1989 motor?thank you

Ppichey

Cadet
Ok great,thanks!i will get out there as soon as I get home from work tomorrow and post them

Bondo

Staff member
Hi,I have a 1989 four winns 200 candia with a 5.7 Chevy motor and omc outdrive.i am looking to change the block because it is cracked.my question is,I have found a marine motor that has a casting number that says it’s an 1980-1985 motor,would I be able to use this and be able to bolt on all of my parts from my 1989 motor?thank you

Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,.....

Yer gonna run into a problem, as the crankshaft bolt pattern changed in '86, which means the flywheels won't swap,.....

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Two piece rear main seal vs one piece, this changed in either '86 or '87. You would be better off getting an engine with the one piece rear main and flywheel that matches what you have or else your OMC coupler won't match up. So the bottom line is you need a newer engine as a new base.

Walt T

Lieutenant
Truth... I turn those OMC's away. Just not worth it. Pains me to see owners sinking lots of money into boats that old. However if you're doing the swap yourself, have at it. Not criticizing your boat or anything I'm sure you love it.
I have an old 96 S10 rustbucket that I keep fixing and putting money into simply because it has 350K miles on it. Am I an idiot? Yup. Do I care? Nope. It's mine, It's familiar, to me and my buddy the tow truck guy.

Ppichey

Cadet
Thank you very much gentlemen!!!!!great information!!!and I know it’s an older boat but I am doing the swap myself and like to work on things.thank you again for all your help!