Don't buy this? - Any hope of saving? (OMC 351 Spitfire, missing King Cobra drive)

sl0flyer

Recruit
Hi All,
I'm looking at a really cheap 1992 Four Winns Sundowner 215 in good condition. Engine (OMC 351 Spitfire) has 180 hours on it, interior just needs a good cleaning, all looks good.

Big downside is it's missing the King Cobra outdrive. I know these are difficult/impossible to service, so my hopes is there is some sort of a conversion out there. I'm handy and confident in being able to do a conversion or an entire swap of engine and drive, but the purchase doesn't make sense unless I can do it for ~$2500 or less.

I really like the boat, would be perfect for our family. Is there any hope?

Attachments

• photo303107.jpg
    photo303107.jpg
    247 KB · Views: 0
  • photo303108.jpg
    photo303108.jpg
    330.5 KB · Views: 0

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
big down side is the motor in addtion to the drive.

no parts available for the fuel injection or ignition on the motor.

Stay away from anything OMC or Ford powered

your buying a $200 boat on a $300 trailer that will most likely need $3k worth of hull restoration in addition to finding a complete and running motor/drive/controls

your better off spending $10k on a boat you can use today.

kpg7121

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi All,
I'm looking at a really cheap 1992 Four Winns Sundowner 215 in good condition. Engine (OMC 351 Spitfire) has 180 hours on it, interior just needs a good cleaning, all looks good.

Big downside is it's missing the King Cobra outdrive. I know these are difficult/impossible to service, so my hopes is there is some sort of a conversion out there. I'm handy and confident in being able to do a conversion or an entire swap of engine and drive, but the purchase doesn't make sense unless I can do it for ~$2500 or less.

Don't see how you can do that type of conversion for $2500. Imho, the boat is a money pit.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
NO!
That 'really cheap' boat will turn out to be very expensive. And still will be an old boat.

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member
or an entire swap of engine and drive, but the purchase doesn't make sense unless I can do it for ~$2500 or less.

Ayuh,...... Welcome Aboard,...... With that budget, you could stuff a 20 year old worn out 3.0l/ Alpha 1 into it,......

Otherwise,..... Walk away,......

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
You would have to buy a whole 'nuther boat as a donor, how will your wife like having 2 boats on your property and you spending hours stripping one out and re-fitting the other? Save your money, and buy a later model running boat with a Merc or Volvo power package. Keep in mind boats that old have a lot of wood in the structure and many will have rot that you won't see at first.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Hi All,
I'm looking at a really cheap 1992 Four Winns Sundowner 215 in good condition. Engine (OMC 351 Spitfire) has 180 hours

Howdy,

yeah. I am going to agree with everyone else. It would only be worth it if the owner paid you to take it.

But he would have to pay you enough money to buy a complete Mercruiser/Volvo engine, transom and drive and (if you couldn't install it yourself) enough money to pay someone else to install it.

Sorry about that.

Walt T

Lieutenant
NO!! HELL NO!! I turn a lot of OMC stuff away. I don't want those things in my shop nor do a lot of other boat shops. A lot of shops wont even work on something more than 20 years old now.

10 bucks says he bought it, then came back here and saw our responses and is now in the middle of a divorce with her stating "Doesn't listen like all men"

Tnstratofam

Commander
"Doesn't listen like all men"

I swear this should be my new tag line. :eek:

Also going to agree with all of the above posts. We had a complete running OMC sterndrive on our Stratos ski boat and were fortunate enough not to have to many problems, but I worked on it myself as no local shops would touch it and in the end after 5 years sold the boat and bought one with an outboard. I'm glad for the knowledge I gained working on the sterndrive, but it isn't for the non mechanically inclined.

In this situation missing parts is a bad idea right out of the gate. Even if it were complete the boat probably needs major structure repair below deck you haven't uncovered yet.