new Gimbal bearing and bellows kit

ab59

Ensign
I just recieved a kit that included the bellows , upper and lower, a bearing and a new water hose for my 1988 Cobra outdrive.
I was looking at the bearing and noticed that it DOES NOT have a hole for grease in it and so would appear that it is not a serviceable bearing , should I send it back or is this an improvement on the older type bearing that does not need to be greased ???

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/ZGAAAOSwecJae1Kv/s-l500.gif

ab59

Ensign
Update , seller notified me that the bearing is an everlube that does not require lubrication and is an improvement on the original. Seems a little odd to not grease a bearing that may be exposed to a wet environment but ok I guess.
Now i've got to remember Not to Grease that zerk !!!

alldodge

Staff member
The everlube or permalube are what's called sealed bearings. The sealed bearings last longer then ones you grease if you someone that doesn't grease the bearing very often. The seal helps keep dust and moisture out. Grease-able bearings do not have the seal and does allow things to get inside easier.

I like the ones which can be greased, my 95 Rinker has never been changed

Seems a little odd to not grease a bearing that may be exposed to a wet environment

The bearing should never see moisture, and if it does there is a problem.

ab59

Ensign
I am familiar with sealed bearings as most of the bits we put in the ground were sealed bearing rock bits good for several thousand pounds of weight force and not prone to early failure due to moisture unless someone spudded the bit into the bottom of the hole when they got there . In the wet environment i was speaking more about the potential of a bellows failure causing water to enter the bearing but i guess if the sealed bearings can take oilfield abuse then they can take about anything . It just seems odd to me not to grease a bearing that the system was meant to have ,i guess.
Good rendition of what a sealed bearing is though.