Winterize 1986 OMC 3.8L Stringer 800 V6 3.8L

JBtwist

Seaman
Is there somewhere where I can step by step documentation on the process of winterizing my boat?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
run motor on hose (you may have the hose adapter at the pivot)
change engine oil and filter
fire up to verify no oil leaks
pull drain plugs on block (one on each side) - use a piece of wire or a deck screw or small screw driver to make sure debris isnt plugging the holes
pull drain plugs on manifolds (one on each side) - use same probe to clean the holes
pull large lower hose and drain - then replace hose
if you have a power steering cooler drain that too

motor is now winterized
if you want to put AF in the motor, now you put the plugs back in and fill the motor with a funnel thru the thermostat housing from the hose that comes from the drive.

change gear oil in drive. if you have water in there, it will come out as chocolate pudding. that is a reseal of the drive as a winter project

check for water in the tilt clutch assembly - refill as required. if you find water, you have another winter project.

drive is now winterized

depending on how/where you store it, you may be uncovered in a garage, or wrapped up in a boat-cocoon.

if you store it where critters live, take a box of bounce dryer sheets and place thru-out the boat. then take a bar of irish spring and shave it down, putting the soap on small paper plates or bowls thru-out the boat (smells better than moth balls and will keep both spiders and mice away)

pull boat plug, store bow up
cover it up if needed
store the drive down (I normally just pulled the drive)

kenny nunez

Captain
If the boat will be outside and the drive uncovered be sure to store the drive in the down position so that should it rain before a freeze the gear case will not freeze crack.
Raise the trailer to get the tires off the ground or pull the tires off and the hubs to service the bearings over the winter. Spray the springs with chain lube while there is no weight on the axles.

southkogs

Staff member
When I stored mine outside for the winter, I always pulled my drive. With the Stringer, it was just so easy.

JBtwist

Seaman
Thank you, great information.

So, a total of 5 drain plugs on the motor?

Is there a schematic somewhere that would demonstrate in a visual way where these plugs are?

JBtwist

Seaman
I'll be doing this work tomorrow. I've been doing a lot of research on this...is there any water in the water pump that I need to get out?

Scott Danforth

Staff member
the circulating pump is taken care of by pulling the large hose. normally the raw water pump takes care of itself, however you could simply blow back thru the line or even pour a few cups of AF down the line to the drive if your concerned.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
once you pull the cable from the ESA switch module, its easy. the steering sorts itself out.

vids on this site http://sterndrive.info/

you can also email them and they will send you step by step info.

southkogs

Staff member
Scott's got it ^^^^^

The steering gears should meet right up when you replace the drive.

JBtwist

Seaman
Getting ready to put back in the water for this summer...I'm trying to change the oil, but I can't find the oil filter or the oil drain plug. Any guidance?

Bondo

Staff member
Getting ready to put back in the water for this summer...I'm trying to change the oil, but I can't find the oil filter or the oil drain plug. Any guidance?

Ayuh,..... Most of us suck the oil out through the dip stick tube, rather than dumpin' the oil into the bilge,.....

'n I donno about yer 3.8l, but my Guess is the oil filter is way down under, aft, port-side of the block, but again, that's just a guess,....

JBtwist

Seaman
Found it...I don't know why I was having such a hard time. Port side...underneath the dip stick. I sucked it out with a manual pump, I may invest in an electric pump, it took a long time. Also, I saw that it had a garden hose attachment on top of the dipstick. I was glad I changed the oil, stuff that came out was black and gross. I think my engine is going to like me this season! :)

JBtwist

Seaman
Hey everyone,

Thank you for the continued help. Scott, I found your original post VERY helpful and I successfully dewinterized my boat this weekend! Thank you for your help.

A couple questions – first 3 should be easy answers...the 4th is a bit nuanced:

1. How do I know if I have a power steering cooler?
2. Where is the thermostat housing? I replaced one in my wife's car, but I can't find anything that looks like that on this motor.
3. Where can I find step by step instructions on changing the gear oil?
4. I drained the tilt clutch and had water in there. I found a really good thread on packing with grease, but I'm getting stuck on page 8:
http://www.boatservicehaarlem.nl/omc_tilt_system_b.pdf

It says to remove the fill plug and drill a NPT grease nipple...but I'm confused if I'm drilling a new hole or tapping the existing fill plug hole?

Can someone help me make sense of that?

southkogs

Staff member
1. - You should find this part somewhere:
Image result for OMC part 0983720

That cooler should be along the hose from the pump.

2. - Should be the housing with 4 hoses running to it, just to the left of your alternator.
3. - Shop manual would be best (HERE)
4. - I never did this. I've heard of it being done, but I just checked mine regularly and stayed with gear oil. If it were me, I would find a used cover on the interweb, buy it and fit a nipple to the existing hole.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Hey everyone,

Thank you for the continued help. Scott, I found your original post VERY helpful and I successfully dewinterized my boat this weekend! Thank you for your help.

A couple questions – first 3 should be easy answers...the 4th is a bit nuanced:

1. How do I know if I have a power steering cooler?
2. Where is the thermostat housing? I replaced one in my wife's car, but I can't find anything that looks like that on this motor.
3. Where can I find step by step instructions on changing the gear oil?
4. I drained the tilt clutch and had water in there. I found a really good thread on packing with grease, but I'm getting stuck on page 8:
http://www.boatservicehaarlem.nl/omc_tilt_system_b.pdf

It says to remove the fill plug and drill a NPT grease nipple...but I'm confused if I'm drilling a new hole or tapping the existing fill plug hole?

Can someone help me make sense of that?

if you have a power steering pump, you have a power steering cooler.

maintenance vids for OMG can be found here http://sterndriveinfo.com/