84 OMC stringer won't tilt

Pwbailey39

Recruit
Have a 84 sterndrive that two new motors won't lift. Added shims to motor,no go. Greased gears in clutch housing . No go. I can lift sterndrive with one hand but two different New motors won't raise it. Put the worm shaft in backwards and raised the outdrive with my electric drill. Motors are correct for my engine but are not strong enough. Have a new coupler on the motor side also. Help. This is driving me crazy.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
welcome aboard

check your electrical connections between the battery and the motor.

southkogs

Staff member
Are the solenoids working? Hammer coupling in place too?

:welcome:

kenny nunez

Captain
Does the tilt motor run? Is there a hole in the center of of the shaft where the small gear is located?

Pwbailey39

Recruit
Tilt motor runs very well. Hammer coupling is in place. Jumped directly from battery to motor. Motor doesn't seem strong enough. Without quadrant gear on motor runs and turns the gear. Put everything back together and not enough power to raise the drive. was going to put grease in the clutch assembly but that created a drag. Cleaned out the clutch housing and added oil. Clutch turns easier but not enough to raise the drive. I turned the worm gear shaft around backwards and used a electric drill to turn the worm gear. It raised the drive.. Could the clutch housing be out of line from an impact with underwater rock. Checked for cracks in housing. None that I could see. This has really got me stumped.

kenny nunez

Captain
This is a really stupid question, is your battery fully charged? I may have read this wrong, but with the quadrant gear installed can you grab the drive and raise or lower it by hand? I am really scratching my head over what you are describing.
When the tilt motor is installed is there a plastic washer on either side of the hammer blow coupling? There should only be a thin gasket between the motor and housing.

Pwbailey39

Recruit
I have two new batteries trying to run the motor. There is a thin washer between the motor and coupling. The motor will not raise my sterndrive. Seems weak. without the quadrant gear installed motor turns fine. I cannot raise the sterndrive my hand unless the quadrant gear is removed. Then I can raise it with one hand. There is no binding of the stern drive. Motor should raise the drive. ???? I'm stumped.

froggy1150

Master Chief Petty Officer
New aftermarket motor? I remember reading somewhere that the new aftermarket ones don't have as much power. Where ever I read this it was recommended to have original rewound/serviced by a electric motor shop

kenny nunez

Captain
The very thin plastic washer goes in front of the worm gear. A thicker washer goes in front and the rear of the coupling to keep it centered otherwise the curved edge of the hammer blow coupler spring will drag against the rear of the cavity. I have in the past used a small metal washer in place of the plastic.

Pwbailey39

Recruit
Im thinking the new aftermarket motors are not strong enough. I have all the washers in place. Waiting on one last motor to arrive today. After that I will look up checking the strength of the motor with a shop.

Pwbailey39

Recruit
I ordered an old tilt motor to see it will lift the stern drive. New motors will not. I tried every suggestion on this forum and new motors will not lift the drive.