Tilt moves up and down manually but does not engage with tilt motor

tee58

Cadet
I have a 1977 OMC stringer 400 with 140 hp engine.
My tilt is down and I can lift it manually, but will not engage by the motor! I know that I should not be able to lift and lower this manual! I could really use some help in resolving this issue!!!

alldodge

Staff member
Sounds like you have 2 issues, the trim systems has no fluid in the trim system, and the electrical part also doesn't work. Have a look here for wiring

https://forums.iboats.com/forum/eng...tringer-305-v8-triple-solenoid-wiring-diagram

fetch

kenny nunez

Captain
It appears that the clutch pack is slipping. There is a snap ring that holds the pack together but you need a way to compress the pack to install the snap ring. Raise the drive about 1/2 way and put a block of wood between the drive and intermediate housing to support it. The snap ring on the gear needs to be removed then the cover, the clutch pack will slide out.
The last stringer mounts around 1985 used a shaft that used a tension bar with a set screw to load the pack. Hopefully someone on this site will be able to show the image breakdown. If you can get the later model shaft you will only need a Allen wrench to set the tension and not a press.

tee58

Cadet
Thank you! I took the clutch pack apart and soaked it and cleaned it! I used a vise to get the snap ring back in place and it is in place! Not sure if the motor is bad because all I get when I try to raise or lower is a clicking sound! But still with that being said! It seems to me I should not be able to raise and lower the outside unit manually! But don't know!
The trim works fine! I can raise and lower engine for trim with no problem

southkogs

Staff member
Trim on a '77 happens up at the front of the engine. That's what you're referring to as trim, correct?

If you put your hand on the sterndrive and push or pull, the drive will move? If so, the clutch pack still isn't right. Otherwise, sounds like your motor needs cleaned/rebuilt/replaced.

Welcome aboard.

tee58

Cadet
also there is no allen screw for tension! This is a 1977 and believe the allen screw came after that! Any help for this would be greatly appreciated!working on removing tilt motor to insure its not damaged or the hammer blow coupling is not damaged! After that I will be stuck! I'm running out of time to fix this because its October and I live in Indiana! Weather will change not in my favor soon! Please help me! I am new at this!

tee58

Cadet
I will replace the tilt motor, its at the back of the engine in the bilge not easy to remove but not impossible! Raised the trim all the way up to access this motor! Has 2 bolts got one of them loose with small adjustable wrench but having problems with the other one! Once I get that bolt out the tilt motor should come out!

tee58

Cadet
I refer to stern drive as outside unit! But it is my stern drive that I can manually raise and lower!

kenny nunez

Captain
The best tool to r&r the tilt motor is a 3/8” drive universal 1/2” socket 8” extension and 3/8” ratchet. If you can still manually raise and lower the drive the clutch pack is not assembled right. The thick snap ring has to be in the groove with the rounded side facing to the clutch pack. That snap ring should be a new one, they do not hold if they are opened more than once. The tool to do it is a 2” long piece of pipe with about 90* removed for room to install the snap ring while the pack is compressed. I takes a good pair of snap ring pliers.

tee58

Cadet
Thank You for that information! I will also replace snap ring!
It took a lot of torc on the vise to get that snap ring to snap into place! Thought for sure I got that right!

tee58

Cadet
This might sound crazy! But can I get that snap ring at any auto party store?

kenny nunez

Captain
You may be able to match one up, be sure it is the same thickness and of course that the clutch ears are lined up. If you google Crowley marine you will be able th locate the correct parts.

tee58

Cadet
I removed tilt motor! Was extremely Rusty inside of motor and windings were rusty! Spindle on motor did not move as freely as it should, it was falling apart as I was removing it! Held it together as best I could! No broken prongs and hammer blow coupling also looked to be okay! There was a spring behind the Hammer blow, this spring will have to be seated properly for the hammer blow to work correctly, is this right? If so this will be a challenge, seeing how it is very hard to see where motor is mounted! Also will new motor be sealed so that it is not coming apart as I am trying to install it?and will it have new bolts or will I have to use the old ones?
Where is the part # located on this motor?
It reads ISO 8846
AND SAE J1171 are these it?

southkogs

Staff member
In the manual it should show the motor as components and then an assembly. They're pretty much the same between many of the models. You can look into having it rebuilt if it's any cheaper for you. I had a really good shop here in Nashville that redid a couple of my motors for about 1/2 the cost of a new one, and they turned out fantastic. Possibly better than new.

kenny nunez

Captain
The motor should have not fallen apart unless you removed the long through bolts. The motor is repairable so if there is a electric motor shop in your area you will be in luck. I used to repair them by turning the commutator down and a new brush head is all that was needed. The hammer blow spring is not hard to connect the 2 outer halves as long as they are not damaged.

tee58

Cadet
not sure what you mean by 2 outer halves! Does the hammer blow have 2 pieces and the spring connects them together?
The reason I asked this is because I only have one piece and the spring

tee58

Cadet
Thanks for trying to explain this stuff to me! Iam trying my best to make these repairs without costing me an arm and leg to do it! Have never worked on boats before! And I have a Clymer manuel and it is pretty vague on how to do repairs!
Gives no part numbers for anything! And does not explain well