OMC 460 King Cobra Serial Number

Trevthefox

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hey everyone,
First post for me but have been reading lots of the topics lately and love the forum.

I recently inherited an '89 Bayliner. We've been slowly fixing the engine and learning how unlucky we were to get an OMC. That being said, the engine is now idling perfect after some work and we're almost reading to see if this thing floats :)

Silly question but I'm trying to find the model of my OMC engine. The serial number is nowhere to be found (trust me I've looked everywhere). The only clue I have is that the Flame arrestor cover say's 460 King cobra. So I've been assuming I have a 1989 7.5 L OMC 460 King Cobra.

I want to buy the right OEM Manual but I'm not sure if this thing is a '88, '89, or '90. Or does this even matter? I just want to make sure when I'm ordering simple parts that I'm getting the right stuff.

Can anyone help with this?

I did however find a serial number on the transom plate.
Reads:

MOD no. 985680 SER No. T0190458

Does this help?

Thanks for you help

sam60

Captain
Hi Trev and welcome.

There are several people here that know of your issues and will be around soon. 985680 is an OMC part number for the transom assembly that was used on many boats. Don't give up...Best of luck!

southkogs

Staff member
Welcome aboard.

OMC usually puts a tag on the engine somewhere. If I'm following the drawings right, maybe on the risers for yours?

OMCmodels1.jpg

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
For the 7.5 liter (460) Ford models, the sticker with the engine model number should be on the port side valve cover next to the oil fill (in Southkogs pix above, the last one all the way on the right). For a 1989 460 Cobra the engine model numbers could be:
460AMLMED (M=manual steering)
460APRMED (P=power steering) can't imagine anyone ordered these things with manual steering!

If the power package is a 1988, these are the possible model #s: again the M denotes manual steering the P power steering...

754BMLGBP
745BPLGDP

If you have a 1989 boat (look at the last 2 digits of the hull ID number on the starboard side transom) the engine package could be an '89 or an '88.

If there's no sticker, its pretty hard to pin it down but there are not many year to year differences, in most cases. I would look at parts diagrams and parts numbers if you can't narrow the year of the engine package down, and if the parts #s are the same, I would not worry about it, same part then.

Trevthefox

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thanks guys! I appreciate the help. Southkogs, I did see those drawings before, but no sticker to be found. Probably lost forever.

Lou, thanks for the info. So I should be good getting an '89 or '90 OEM manual? The only Part that I've seen a difference so faris the Thermostat between the 89 and 90 7.5L.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
If the boat is for sure an ‘89 I’d get an 89 shop manual because the power package is probably the same year as the boat, it could be a year older but it would not be newer.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Just for the heck of it I looked up some parts #s to see if the #s for commonly replaced items were the same or different for an '88 or an '89

for the following parts:
carb kit, tune up kit, dist cap, dist rotor, impeller kit, d/s bellows, transom shift cable

the only part # that varies is the carb kit, the rest are all the same.
and, you most likely could get that carb kit right from Holley's website maybe cheaper.

88 carb kit # 0985052
89 carb kit # 0987926
could be the same kit, who knows why the #s are different...

Trevthefox

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thanks Lou!

For sure it's an '89. Last 2 numbers on Hull is 89. When I rebuilt the carb I just used the Carb number so I'm good on that end. I'm going to use Scott's suggestion and order the manual. I didn't see one on Ebay. I'm going to get the service manual and the owner's manual unless you guys think the Service manual will be enough.

Really appreciate all your help.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
owners manual has stuff that is not in the shop manual. OMC's manuals are excellent, far better than Volvo's. In fact the only time when Volvo put out good manuals was during the joint venture era when they copied OMC's!

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Thanks Lou!

For sure it's an '89. Last 2 numbers on Hull is 89.
Howdy,

If the hull number indicates it's an 89, the engine and drive could be either an 88 or an 89. All boat manufacturers frequently use last years engine and drives.

It doesn't matter much. There's not a lot of differences in any of the Dog-clutch 460's.

You can find part numbers and pictures at http://epc.brp.com/

Regards,

Rick

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
FYI, here's possible model-numbers for your engine/drive combo! :thumb:

460AMLMED 1989
460APRMED 1989

754BMLGDP 1988
754BPRGDP 1988