OMC waterpump Question

southkogs

Staff member
My electric shift didn't have one of those rings on it. But when i picked up another drive as a donor for some parts (same drive) it did have one. I never figured out how the goofy thing was supposed to work, so I left it off the drive.

Metalwizard23

Seaman
OK that makes me feel better. it ONLY fits in the one spot.. BUT it does NOTHING I might as well wrap some tape around the thing.. LOL

the o ring is there.. Since I KNOW it does not go INSIDE the impeller housing I feel much better. its all together.. just need an extra hand to put the drive back on and im one step closer

thanks again for all the input sorry to be a pain!

kenny nunez

Captain
If your drive has the internal True Course steering be sure to turn the steering wheel both ways and split the difference. Square the upper, I always measured from the rear of the trunion ears to the front of the exhaust housing. Be sure to disconnect the battery, you do not want to melt the stainless shift wire when you are busy shoving it through.
If the stainless cover that goes below the pump housing has a machined taper that is where the “O” ring should go. But do not lose any sleep over it if not. That is why I always sealed it and the bolts with #2 Permatex.

Metalwizard23

Seaman
If your drive has the internal True Course steering be sure to turn the steering wheel both ways and split the difference. Square the upper, I always measured from the rear of the trunion ears to the front of the exhaust housing. Be sure to disconnect the battery, you do not want to melt the stainless shift wire when you are busy shoving it through.
If the stainless cover that goes below the pump housing has a machined taper that is where the “O” ring should go. But do not lose any sleep over it if not. That is why I always sealed it and the bolts with #2 Permatex.

Good Advice..
I did use permatex (that nasty oldschool brown stuff) on both sides of the "silver" plate..

I did nt think about the true course. makes sense I may not be in the same exact spot as It was when I removed the drive!

Redrig

Master Chief Petty Officer
Metalwizard , could you do me a huge favor before you put that drive back on ?

can you measure how big the hole is in the intermediate for your shift cable ? either with a micrometer or drill bit or something .

I am converting as well and my electric shift intermediate has a smaller hole for its shift cable , so I need to enlarge it .

kenny nunez

Captain
Red Rig, be sure the upper gear case has the large hole also if you are using your original upper. It could have been changed in the past for the early style electric model.

Metalwizard23

Seaman
Redrig I already have ti together sorry about that.. I did'nt look back here after I got flamed for doing a search and posting on old threads with the same topic after being told "why dont you do a search this topic has been discussed many times before"