2.3l ford/omc missing and no horsepower

Wyauk

Recruit
Been having constant trouble with my Blue Fin, has the 2.3l Ford. Worked the kinks out but now I have no ideas. The engine will idle and run fantastic until it has been at 175 degrees for about 10 minutes. Then the engine seems to start missing really badly and there's zero power output. The engine will sound like it's under more load the more throttle ya give it. Any ideas? I'm at a loss.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
bad ignition module or fuel related. the lack of power would lead me to fuel related.

Wyauk

Recruit
I just had the carb fully cleaned out and adjusted by a local mech guy, and he verified the fuel pump is working properly. Replaced the anti-siphon valve at the tank and cleared the fuel line of any restrictions. Leaning towards the ig option coil then?

Scott Danforth

Staff member
its almost NEVER ever the coil. only 3 out of a million changed coils are actually bad. that is 999,997 good coils thrown away for every 3 bad ones

at most its the ignition module

however if it was me, I would look at the fuel system.

Wyauk

Recruit
Okay so update. It seems the issue only begins after 15 or so minutes after startup. Just enough time for things to warm up. Thoughts?

Scott Danforth

Staff member
go thru the ignition module tests in the factory service manual
go thru the fuel system tests in the factory service manual - what is your fuel pressure? if you loosen the gas cap, do you hear a sucking sound, if so, plugged vent.

Wyauk

Recruit
Cleared out the tank vent when I cleaned the fuel line, it is highly unlikely it's fuel related. I don't have the factory manual, any help on the proper readings would be appreciated