78 omc

juicebox

Petty Officer 3rd Class
is there anyone who has access anymore to the delicious manuals for the 64-86 model years. The link in the sticky doesn’t seem to be operational.

juicebox

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Just looking to remove one, don’t need the whole service manual.

juicebox

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thanks guys. Have an old tin boat I’m gonna start working on and the busted up Chevy and outdrive are not included in the future plans for this tank.

juicebox

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I was wondering also if there was a way to drop the leg down without hooking up a battery. I’m not sure how long this boat sat before I bought her.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I would pull the drive and separate the halves to replace the water pump before I would ever worry about trying to fire it.

I would also look at the ball gears, if the "nubs" as some call them are worn more than 25%, get a ball-gear kit and replace them.

juicebox

Petty Officer 3rd Class
This drive is not going to be used, at least not by me. I don’t want to destroy it though.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
If your not going to use the drive, and intend to replace it, go with a motor that is at least 18 years newer

juicebox

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Gonna put an 88 Suzuki on the back of her, lots of fab work ahead of me. Thanks for the help guys.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
good luck, you have lots of hull re-construction work to remove a stringer drive, rebuild the transom and the stringers for outboard duty.