electric shift issues

saultguy

Cadet
hello, so i have a 1972 omc 120 sterndrive, with electric shift. at the end of last year it wouldnt go into gear either forward or reverse. took it to my mechanic and he checked for power in the wires etc. and thought it was a broken clutch spring, it was cheaper to order a rebult lower end that was bench tested to be in working order. he put the new lower end on and still nothing, engine runs fine and will idle all day, but no shift? any ideas on what it could be?

Redrig

Master Chief Petty Officer
Verify that you are getting 12v on the green forward shift wire when the controller is in forward , blue for reverse .

sounds like a controller issue to me if the unit was bench tested and good
The shift wires are port side by the tilt motor

good luck

saultguy

Cadet
thanks redrig we will check that tomorrow, we had initailly thought it might be a broken wire somewhere, i guess that will tell us.

Redrig

Master Chief Petty Officer
a few other things too .

Do you have type C fluid in the lower unit ? that is a must for shifting with an electric shift

Is the ground strap in place on the outdrive ? it connects from the drive to the intermediate to ensure the lower has a good ground path .

Like i said earlier , it sounds like a controller issue cuz the chance of having 4 bad shift springs in the 2 units is slim to none , but these other items are important as well to have a good shift in the lower .

The shifter will have a few wires going into it , one will be "hot in run" from the key , on mine its a purple wire , make sure you have 12v there with the key on , then shift it and check the blue and green wire to see if the controller is sending out the 12v to the shift cable .

saultguy

Cadet
Thanks red rig got it working it was a bad connection at the transom all good now