Omc - omc - omc!!! 1990 sylvan offshorre, 1988 3.0 omc engine model#amrgdp

boston 6902

Cadet
Does anyone in the charleston s.c. Area no of a mechanic that can work on these older boats? I found a couple places to get parts, so thats not a problem. I've spoken with a couple mechanics but looking for another opinion.

I had a some water in the engine, buts it's only seen fresh water, never salt. Any ideas on how to flush it out? I thought sea foam, but someone mentioned a red oil, i'm thinking he's talking about transmission fluid .

I need an honest mechanic at a reasonable rate!

Last edited:

southkogs

Staff member
What are you flushing out? The cooling system or the gear case?

Welcome aboard.

Bondo

Staff member
I had a some water in the engine, buts it's only seen fresh water, never salt.

Ayuh,...... Welcome Aboard,..... If yer gettin' water in the oil, it most likely froze, 'n busted the block,......

Drain it, 'n pressure test the block's coolin' passages to find the leak,.....

boston 6902

Cadet
Thanks for the advice, much appreciated. is it worth trying to salvage if the block is cracked?

southkogs

Staff member
OMCs are kind of a mixed bag. If it's a cracked block, or a major repair, you really want to consider converting your drive line over. Not because you can't rehab an OMC, but more so because they've been out of business so long and the system is effectively obsolete. If you've got to toss a lot of money into fixing it - you may be better served hunting up a Mercruiser or Volvo driveline that's running GM power. Those drivelines are more common in terms of parts and service ... and social standing :)

If you're looking at a busted up block and a questionable drive, I would suggest you look for a donor boat with a drive you like.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Thanks for the advice, much appreciated. is it worth trying to salvage if the block is cracked?

No, it probably isn't.

You can however part out your OMC "stuff" as best as possible and then find another boat with a similarly sized Mercruiser engine + Alpha drive that you can swap over to your boat if you are attached to it!

You can certainly find another engine and swap it out or buy a long-block, but that could put you in a situation where the fix costs more than the boat is worth even after it's all over.

Don't wast any time trying to flush out the engine until you pressure-check the cooling system and determine for sure if it is indeed a cracked block.

If it's NOT cracked, change the oil a couple of times using 5W-20, 5W-30, 10W-30 etc.....running it between oil changes...... Run it in the water at cruise speed for at least 30 min to get the engine (and oil) up to normal operating temp (to boil out residual water)

Then when most or all of the water is removed, make the final fill 25W-40, 15W-40, 20W-50 etc

If the block wasn't cracked you lucked out. MAKE SURE you drain the block and manifold in the winter-time.

Good luck,

Rick