OMC 3.0 1990 EST Ignition intermittent spark problem

Hessels

Recruit
Hi guys.

I've got a 1990 Sunbird Corsica with a 3.0 OMC Cobra with the EST ignition system.
Couple weeks ago it suddenly wouldn't spark whatsoever.
I've fiddled around with trying to identify the problem and scrolled through all the forum posts related and couldn't find a solution.

What I've done is measure all the voltages and resistances with the manual I could find:
http://www.boatinfo.no/lib/omc/manuals/1986-1998omcmanual.html#/400

All is in order except the primary circuit reading of the coil is a whee bit high so I'll probably have to replace that.

But the weird thing is that after I'd gone through all the steps and reconnected everything again the engine fired up again. Allthough not idling very well. But the latter it has been doing for a while now.

So couple days later we went out on the boat again and after a few miles the engine started misfiring at low revs.
So I disconnect the ESA module from the ignition module and it ran fine the whole day. (expect for the idling issue) and of course putting it in reverse was grinding the gear a bit.

I removed the ESA to get it replaced. Couple days later we were gonna go out for a small trip and thought no harm to go without the ESA once more but tried it in the morning and again it wouldn't fire at all. So I reinstalled the old ESA and fired it up and it ran again. Later that afternoon I tried it again with the old ESA still connected again it woulnd't fire at all.

So allthough I didn;t think it was the problem I ordered a new ESA which I installed just now and surprise surprise no spark. So went through all the steps again to measure all the voltages and ohms and after the step of disconnecting and connecting the pickup coil it fired again and now it's again running fine.

So it seems to be a problem in the ignition module as disconnecting or connecting either the pickup coil or the ESA seems to solve the problem at least temporarily.

I want to be sure it's the ignition module before ordering another part that might not be the cause. Also because the parts are expensive and hard to get over in the Netherlands where i live.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
welcome aboard

its not your coil. its rarely ever the coil, yet millions of people change their coil. if the motor is running, its not the coil

most likely a loose connection or a corroded connection.

alldodge

Staff member
Guess its rolling dice ten. The module and the coil inside the distributor are the only two components

Know anyone with another of the same distributor which will let you swap?