2.3l Ford milky "crap"

mighern7

Seaman Apprentice
Okay guys I'm a new boater, just got a 1988 Blue Fin with the 2.3l Ford. The boat runs fine, starts, cranks all the good stuff. The stern drive runs nice and tip top and all that jazz.

Problem: The oil keeps turning into milk. We pulled the head and did all new gaskets (head, exhaust and intake manifolds, water pump, valve cover, riser, and carburetor rebuild). We checked the manifolds for leaks and they seemed fine, the engine runs fine so that leads me to believe the compression is good.

I've yet to do a coolant pressure test but I am just sick of working on it so it's going to sit for a couple days. If you guys have any suggestions please help a new boater out.

I forgot to mention I seem to think the oil pressure 70 psi seems to be a lot and haven't been able to find much info on that.

Thanks from Michigan!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
you need to pressure test the cooling water jacket to verify, however most likely a cracked block. however could also be a failed manifold/elbow/gasket that is leaking water into the cylinders

oil pressure is high because you have water in the oil

block is cracked from improper winterization

if you want to replace the block, look for a pinto motor in a ford ranger from1989-1992. your just getting the long block

then replace the core plugs with brass and the head gasket with marine

mighern7

Seaman Apprentice
I'm 90% sure it's a cracked block! I'll be pressure testing this week. There isn't any water on top of the cylinders, I don't think the gaskets are leaking. Would the oil/water be black if the exhaust riser gasket was leaking back and washing carbon back into the cylinder?

Chances are I'll be getting a new long block and swapping over everything else.

What is the oil pressure supposed to be at?

mighern7

Seaman Apprentice
The engine is block has a crack. What are my options for a replacement engine?

mighern7

Seaman Apprentice
2.3 omc replacements!

So last summer I found out my boat had a cracked block.

We are looking for replacement options for the engine. I would like to get started on her as soon as the weather gets nice here in Michigan and try to finish before boating season is up.

Thanks to everyone for the feedback!

jbcurt00

Staff member
Scott posted replacement info

if you want to replace the block, look for a pinto motor in a ford ranger from1989-1992. your just getting the long block

Keyboardman

Petty Officer 1st Class
I replaced my old 2.3L OMC with an '86 Capri engine that had low mileage. Swapped over all the Marine related parts, changed the core plugs to brass and when I tear it all down after this season for a rebuild, I'll use a Marine grade head gasket. That outdrive is geared just for a 2.3. The 3.0 and up are different ratios. The Turbo version of the 2.3 is the same block as long as it has the hole for the mechanical fuel pump. The turbo will have to go though. ;)

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
turbo 2.3's have lower compression slugs than the NA bretheren. look for a ford ranger with the 2.3 and simply grab it. millions of them on the road, most of them simply rusted away, leaving the tires and the engine.

Keyboardman

Petty Officer 1st Class
I took a turbo 2.3L from a Mustang and put it in a Pinto when the turbo seized up. I didn't even notice the lower performance due to lower HP in that BEAST! LOL!! All in all I've had a few and they took plenty of abuse and still ran. I actually had a hard time finding an older 2.3L with the mechanical fuel pump. Probably a lot got lost in the Cash for Clunkers debacle,,,,,

mighern7

Seaman Apprentice
I think I found a couple engines. I'll be picking one up soon and going to work on it.

Keyboardman

Petty Officer 1st Class
Totally wrong block. You need an older one with the mechanical fuel pump. ;)

mighern7

Seaman Apprentice
Update, just picked up a 2.3 from a 92 ranger but its an 8 plug. Been looking around and seems like I can swap heads and I'm good to go.

mighern7

Seaman Apprentice
you need to pressure test the cooling water jacket to verify, however most likely a cracked block. however could also be a failed manifold/elbow/gasket that is leaking water into the cylinders

oil pressure is high because you have water in the oil

I read that the new 1994 would work, however I don't think it has mechanical pump which I guess I can rig something up. Is it possible to put the mechanical pump on the new blocks ?