Electric shift forward problems

shbuerk

Cadet
I had my 1977 bonanza out today. It was going good. When we stopped and killed the engine. We tried to go forward it wouldnt go into gear. Sounded like it was still in neutral. When i tried going into reverse gear it worked. Do these have a fuse for them. Or what could the problem be. Thank yous for all of your help. I am very new to this boating scene. Rocky start i replaced the lower unit already. Wandering if it could be the forward coil or the switch.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
The problem could be electrical in nature, or it could be mechanical.
You really need to have a good, preferably a factory service manual. It would give a detailed explanation of how the system works, troubleshooting guides, and disassembly/reassembly instructions

shbuerk

Cadet
Thank you i will have to look at my manual more. I couldnt find much on the troubleshooting found how to tear it apart.

Redrig

Master Chief Petty Officer
Back in the port side engine area by the tilt motor is your shift cable. There is a splice point in the cable, verify that you are getting a full 12v on the green\forward wire when you are shifted into forward.

if there is not 12 volts the problem is in your shifter , if there is 12 volts the problem is in the lower unit.

good luck