89 Sundowner I/O Transom Issue

PezzDSpenser

Cadet
I've owned the bout for 7 years now. It's in fantastic shape. Previous (1st) owner was meticulous. Dry docked it, was never left in water for more than a few days. I've docked it every season on Lake Ontario. The bilge has always been dry unless it rained. Last fall during winterizing the service tech recommended replacing the bellows and gimbal bearing. It was done. This spring I launched the bout. Took the 10 minute ride to the dock. Put up the canvas and hooked up shore power. Upon checking to make sure the battery charger was working I heard a steady light flow of water. Looking further it was coming from the lower area of the transom plate. Pulled the boat and took it back to the service center. A couple days later they tell me they checked the boat in the pond and then filled the bilge on land and the leak is coming from the transom seal and I'll need the transom replaced. Apparently the transom seal during this generation (87-92) of Four Winns OMC & Mercruiser are famous for this issue and the service center has a history with this being a Four Winns dealer. If the bilge has been dry all these years, is it common for it to just dry out over the winter (always in heated storage) and then all of a sudden leak this bad. My other thought is the service center really messed this up because I have this issue and the outdrive now whirs pretty loudly when in gear. Curious on thoughts and feedback. Thanks.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
my guess is your transom is rotten. it is a 30 year old fourwinns. so that would not be uncommon for the transom to be rotten....and the stringers.....and the deck

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Always a dry bilge and then someone dies the bellows and then right after that you get a leak. Anyone think of pulling the drive to check the bellows? Whirring noise? Did they change the gear oil too? Oh boy!!

PezzDSpenser

Cadet
I agree Lou. This boat has been bone dry. Always mooring cover or full canvas on. The interior has never seen rain. That's why I'm questioning it. I would think a leak would start very slowly not a light flow. The boat was bought and serviced here yearly. I would have thought they'd notice something, especially when changing the bellows. I'm thinking another opinion is needed.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
If you can yourself, pull the drive off and check the gear oil. Look in the driveshaft bellows for water and/or gear oil.
I have an '88 Horizon 200 and it still has the original transom. Moored in salt water for about 15 seasons and stored outside in Long Island NY ever since I've owned it (2002). I'm not saying my transom is in perfect shape but I have not had leaks.
Keep in mind you can have a leak from the Y pipe where it bolts to the inner transom mount and this can also leak with the engine off and the boat in the water. Check bellows first since that's the most recent work done.

http://www.crowleymarine.com/support/tech_articles/omc-cobra-outdrive-removal.html

http://www.crowleymarine.com/support/tech_articles/omc-cobra-outdrive-installation.html

http://www.crowleymarine.com/support/tech_articles/omc-cobra-outdrive-lubricant-filling.html

I use an outdrive jack to get mine on and off.

PezzDSpenser

Cadet
Lou, Here's a pic of the transom on the inside showing the spot the water is coming in. Any thoughts

Attachments

• photo293649.jpg
    photo293649.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 1

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Hard to say, while they could be right, leaks from up above (ie the driveshaft bellow area) can wind up down there. If you put the drive down and then pull up on it hard, do you see flexing at the transom mount?
You can also climb in the bilge area with a drill with a 1/4" bit in it and drill a few exploratory holes around the inner transom plate in the transom wood. See if the wood chips come out light colored and dry or dark colored and wet. If the latter than its the transom, if not then it could be that seal but it is unusual for it to leak unless you hit something.

this is why my next boat for sure will be an outboard. I/O boats just have too many ways to leak and some involve really difficult repairs.

PezzDSpenser

Cadet
Just an update to those on this board. The issue here ended up being an old dried out and deteriorated transom seal. It was replaced and the boat was back in the water for the July 4th holiday. The bilge has been dry since. The marine mechanic re-assured me that the boat is solid and in excellent shape with no signs of rot or moisture in the transom or stringers. The whirring noise was the previous mechanics lack of putting any grease on the gimbal bearing. Don't hear a sound from it now. A big shout out to Mike Mobile Marine for the work on the repair. Needless to say the Four Winns dealer that originally sold the boat and has serviced it for me for the last 7 years won't be getting any more of my business. Lou C, thanks for your feedback and advice. That's the kind of information we should be sharing on these forums. It was much appreciated. Scott Danforth, your post was totally useless, kind of a put down and not helpful at all. It definitely fits your profile description of a grumpy old curmudgeon.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
buy a lottery ticket. seriously, the fact that you dont have a rotten transom on a 30 year old fiberglass boat.... buy a lottery ticket

sorry I dont sugar coat anything. 30 year old boats are 15 years past their expiration date. worked on too many rotten boats much newer that have had to be rebuilt to not suspect a rotten transom, especially a late 80's boat of any manufacturer

kpg7121

Petty Officer 2nd Class
buy a lottery ticket. seriously, the fact that you dont have a rotten transom on a 30 year old fiberglass boat.... buy a lottery ticket

sorry I dont sugar coat anything. 30 year old boats are 15 years past their expiration date. worked on too many rotten boats much newer that have had to be rebuilt to not suspect a rotten transom, especially a late 80's boat of any manufacturer
I agree. I have an 87 Starcraft with a rotten transom. I planned on redoing it but once i found a soft spot on the floor, I've given up on it & I'm parting it out. It's a shame as the engine & drive are good but at my age i just don't feel like rebuilding this boat. What these boat builders got away with in building these boats in the late 80's is borderline criminal. IMHO.

PITBoat

Petty Officer 1st Class
this is why my next boat for sure will be an outboard. I/O boats just have too many ways to leak and some involve really difficult repairs.

How do true inboards rank? It seems like they might be better than the I/Os as far as having less complicated places to leak? Are they harder to work on in other ways?

jbcurt00

Staff member
How do true inboards rank? It seems like they might be better than the I/Os as far as having less complicated places to leak? Are they harder to work on in other ways?
If you have an Inboard or are considering buying 1, ask in your topic about your boat.

If you dont have a topic about yours or the 1 you're considering to buy, start a topic and ask about it there.

Asking about yours, here, in PezzD's topic is comsidered a hijack

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Just an update to those on this board. The issue here ended up being an old dried out and deteriorated transom seal. It was replaced and the boat was back in the water for the July 4th holiday. The bilge has been dry since. The marine mechanic re-assured me that the boat is solid and in excellent shape with no signs of rot or moisture in the transom or stringers. The whirring noise was the previous mechanics lack of putting any grease on the gimbal bearing. Don't hear a sound from it now. A big shout out to Mike Mobile Marine for the work on the repair. Needless to say the Four Winns dealer that originally sold the boat and has serviced it for me for the last 7 years won't be getting any more of my business. Lou C, thanks for your feedback and advice. That's the kind of information we should be sharing on these forums. It was much appreciated. Scott Danforth, your post was totally useless, kind of a put down and not helpful at all. It definitely fits your profile description of a grumpy old curmudgeon.

great and thanks for the follow up. Always nice to hear a better than expected outcome.
You can do a lot of the maintenance yourself, while it can be a pain it is not really difficult.
If you have an OMC Cobra, check this out....I've done just about all of it, for a long time...

http://www.crowleymarine.com/support/omc-tech-articles.html

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Scott Danforth, your post was totally useless, kind of a put down and not helpful at all. It definitely fits your profile description of a grumpy old curmudgeon.

Hang in there Scott...we're all pullin' for ya.....

kpg7121

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Gee, judging by the # of posts in the restoration forum from guys restoring late 80's boats he's not too far off. Just my .02.