esa question

Status
Not open for further replies.

MRS

Commander
Lou C, yes think you are right ordering it tonight. Since I made the cut out life is good getting to the motor, but the shower idea is a good idea. :D

MRS

Commander
Crowley keeps trying to send me same esa that will not work so went with marine engine and they had all the right information and it is the cdi unit. Hate not having a good shop to go to and buy parts.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
It might really be a BRP problem because the box had the right part number on but the unit inside had a different number and it is for the BID (electronic) system. The only way to tell is read through all the paperwork it comes with and then you find out it is for the BID system.

MRS

Commander
marine engine said they shipped it so should have it soon. Yes will read all the paper work before hooking up. But they did say was for a points system gosh I hope so.

MRS

Commander
Lou C, yes that is the one I ordered was yours a plugin and go. Mine 86 4.3 should be the same as yours. Thanks for all the help so far.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Here it is....

Attachments

• photo293858.jpg
    photo293858.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0

MRS

Commander
Thanks will update when it gets here. Soon I hope.

MRS

Commander
Just checked unit I ordered same numbers as yours so I should be able to hookup and go.

rms59

Cadet
Just spotted this thread. Yesterday, I purchased a BRP Evinrude/Johnson 987740 ESA module at a local marina to replace an intermittent original ESA 984281 in my 1987 Sunbird 3 litre OMC Cobra. When I opened the box at home I found a part number 763786. So I went back to the boat place and he checked and told me it was the upgraded part for my boat.

I installed the ESA and trailer tested it this morning. I raised the interrupter switch about 25 times and it does stumble the engine each time but not as rough as the old one did. Now that I read the instructions it does say its for a BDI distributor and mine is standard points.

I think I'm going to check it out on the lake first just to see what it does but I think I will then bring it back.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
It would be ineresting to see if it lowers the idle enough to get the drive into neutral. I can tell you that both the orginal one (OMC) and the aftermarket one from CDI lower mine from 600 to about 450. If yours does this on the water hose it should be OK.
I called Crowley Marine when I noticed the disparity between the # on the box and the # on the ESA. They checked a few things and 'thought' it was the right one. Then I called BRP customer service tech support who had no idea, and they referred me to a dealer who (predictably) had no idea also, lol. I still think it's a mistake made by BRP in that the item was mis-boxed, but if it works for you then maybe not. Still have mine, bought it about 3 years ago and can't send it back!

Last edited:

MRS

Commander
I did receive mine been working all week, but will put it on tomorrow same one Lou C has on his boat.
Then will let you know how it works. Hope yours works out ok most places if you use electronic parts they will not take back.

rms59

Cadet
Update:

Went to the lake.... and failed. With boat idling in water I noticed it clunked louder when going into either gear than it normally did but getting it out of gear was an absolute bear. The ESA that was made for a BID system just didn't stumble the engine hard enough for the gears to break free. Had to turn the key off a few times to get it to shift.
Loaded it back on the trailer, stopped at the dealership that sold me the ESA, and we went over the ESA instructions. He then got on the phone with his distributor, and after hearing him use some expletives, promised me the right part will be overnighted so I'll have it tommorrow.

Stay tuned.

MRS

Commander
Lucky day for you hope the next one works out for you. I have mine but redoing the kitchen what a pain. I wanted to put mine in today but Noooo dishwasher does not match new counter tops so I am on the kitchen detail today...:blue:

rms59

Cadet
Another update....
Well, the overnight shipped replacement was EXACTLY (BRP) like the wrong one the dealer gave me in my previous post. That was it for me. I got my money back with apologies and I will be ordering the CDI part that Lou C has a photo of at the top of this page.
I wish MRS would get out of the kitchen and let me know how his is working. :)

MRS

Commander
Me to brother! I did order my from Marine Engine and got the right one. Just like Lou C has.

rms59

Cadet
Another update.... Part one...

It looks like the old ESA module had a bad ground where the ground lug bolted to the bracket because after ensuring a good ground it began working as it should.
I also received the new CDI ESA module and was a little disappointed with the quality control. The larger of the two connectors (4-pin) had pins that were bent in their housings and had to be pulled and twisted to line them up. They won't stay lined up either as if the rubber connector was drilled wrong. I managed to finally get it hooked up and it stumbles the engine with the same amount of force as the old one does so we're good in that respect

Part two...

After repeatedly activating the interrupter switch (one with the roller) I can reach a point where no stumble occurs. Holding it in that mode I wiggle all the wires, tap both connectors and tap both switches to see if there is a fault but it stays no stumble.
This happens with both the old and the new ESA's.
When I test the switches with an ohm meter, they both pass.

Disconnecting the large 4 pin connector and repeatedly grounding the blue wire from the ESA module (old ESA was being used) the engine stumbles perfectly all through the 50 times I grounded it. The switches are the only thing that grounds that blue wire but they test out perfect each time and are new.

I have another unrelated issue that I will make a post about.

(1987 OMC Cobra 3.0 litre, standard points)

MRS

Commander
ESA fit perfect fired right up. Now the carb is dumping fuel into motor! Floats look like stuck open Arrrrrrrrrr! Looking for a good carb shop now. I am beat missing the water....

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Glad the ESA fit well. You have a Rochester 2bbl? They are pretty simple to take apart (not like a Quadrajet). You might want to try it yourself...might just be a sticking float or a piece of grit holding the inlet valve off the seat.

Status
Not open for further replies.