B.o.a.t

211libwtfo

Petty Officer 1st Class
jus got the call from my mechanic bad news as always. I thought I would have the mechanic give the 211 liberator the once over on the out drive, you know jus for good measure. I’ve had the boat 3 years and last season felt a lil vibration was gonna check the ujoints and gimbal my self but thought eh I’ll take it in. Any who, 10-12 of the 21 teeth on the upper gear case are scored severely apparently lost a seal and the gimbal bellows was full of gear lube. The nut that keeps all of the upper gears and seal together came off with fingers. There’s knicks and scoring in the upper housing from previous rebuilds the Mech wants to replace the whole upper case. B.O.A.T Break Out Another Thousand or 4!!!!??!?!?!?

211libwtfo

Petty Officer 1st Class
Scott your reply should be oh hell that ole thing I’ve got one of those laying around I’ll pay you to come get it!!!!

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Don't remember, 'n ya don't say, but by Scott's comments, I'm guessin' this is a Ford/ King Cobra driveline,..??

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Yep sorry to hear that, they are not easy to replace. Even if you wanted to leave the Ford engine and convert it over to a Volvo SX it is more involved due to the need to add an engine mounted impeller, never used on that Ford 460. Possible, and there was a thread started by Don S several years back where he had done this. It was here for a while and for a time was on the baylinerowners forum....

While you can bolt up a standard Cobra, it may not take the torque of the BBF. The 460 King Cobra was a standard upper Cobra drive unit mated to a lower unit from the V8 OMC outboards. It is the lower unit parts that are hard to find, if all you need are upper gears, they may be able to source them via Sierra.

http://www.allamericandriveservice.com/OMCCobra.html

211libwtfo

Petty Officer 1st Class
I can get the gears $1500. The upper case which has marks in it from previous implosions Mech says needs replaced $1000. I’ve found a whole out drive $1500 was rebuilt jus not a 100% if it’s the same. There’s also a conversion to Merc se116? I think says doesn’t fit king cobra but I think it does the baby king. $1800 and it looks pretty easy according to the YouTube video. Lol. Ugh!!!!!!!! I’ll be ready to go by may or June though. Might not be able to fuel it up just floating at the dock is fine. That’s what all the big cruisers do.....right!!!!

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
https://photos.app.goo.gl/GqQylxGKo0t5hrdt1

any one ever see or hear about this unit.

That looks like the SEI "conversion". Won't work behind a 460 I think. Actually it probably *would* but you would run the risk of breaking it on the first WOT run.....

You could do the Volvo Penta DPS "conversion" Lou mentioned. I have a list of parts needed to do it but the main part is NLA, and you still have to fab an engine driven raw water pump and you're still stuck with the 460 coupler and manifolds.......

Unfortunately, you are between the proverbial "rock and hard place" there's no easy fix other than simply finding another drive or rebuilding what you have.

Sorry about that.

211libwtfo

Petty Officer 1st Class
I thought I had made it through another season oh well find a fix and move on.