Water pump housing

Rinker85

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello,

I am putting new seals, impellor and ball gear into my 1984 stringer outdrive. I'm in the disassembly mode right now. I can't get the swivel housing separated from the water pump housing. In the book it says

" If the swivel housing and water pump do not come out easily in step 6 and step 7, place the upper gearcase in a horizontal position. Insert a 12 in. long x 1/4 in. diameter steel rod through the steering post and against the drive shaft end. Tap rod...."

I'm not sure what they are talking about. There is no illustration to explain this step. The book I have is Clymer OMC shop manual 1964 to 1986. Is there a better book with more updated information?

kenny nunez

Captain
If you have a vice clamp the gear housing upside down by putting the quadrant lifting gear in the vise. Put 2 of the bolts just in and 180* across from each other then with a steel rod twist the the pinion housing and you will be able to lift it out. This way you do not have to pull the input shaft, and you do not spill gear oil on your self. If you have a vise wrap some rags around the pinion housing to protect it then with a punch and hammer work around the stainless cover to separate it from the pump housing and the same way on the aluminum pump housing. Hopefully the pump shaft is not bound to the upper shaft spline. If the shafts separate and the splines are worn on the stainless pump shaft then the upper shaft and pump shaft must both be replaced. This operation can only be done with the special tools made for this operation. You will have to find an older shop that has the tools. The lower seals must be installed after the shaft is torqued down with the OMC installer that sets them to the proper depth and square. Good luck.