impeller and housing install 1991 OMC Cobra with 4.3L

ruggles

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am going to be replacing the cracked impeller housing and impeller with a kit this weekend.

Do I need anything besides the paper gasket, o-ring and wear plate? Do I need any kind of sealant?

I've read that you have to glue in the steel cage into the housing? Is this necessary?

One more question. How long do I have to wait to fire up the motor to test it out? I'm planning on replacing the impeller and housing and head up to my cabin an hour away and use it for the weekend. Is this possible or do I have to wait for any gasket sealant to dry/cure.

Thanks!

ruggles

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Anybody? The boat is out of town so when I go it's weekend commitment. I plan on going Friday

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Click image for larger version  Name:	Cobra impeller.jpg Views:	2 Size:	34.2 KB ID:	10543817

The manual advises that you use OMC gasket sealer to glue the cage in the housing and seal the gasket. I also use it on the bolt threads, it helps keep them from seizing. Sometimes I've had a gasket that refuses to lay flat in the groove in the housing and I've better luck using a thick grease like OMC triple guard to stick the gasket into that groove. You can fire the engine up right away. Leave the cover over the impeller housing off when running it on the water hose and make sure that there are no leaks around the housing and that the vent hose is squirting water out. If all is good replace the cover and go boating!
A substitute you can use for the OMC gasket sealer is Merc Perfect Seal. I've also used Permatex Aviation Gasket Sealer.

Attachments

• Cobra impeller.jpg
    Cobra impeller.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

ruggles

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Lou C that was exactly the info I was looking and hoping for! Thanks for taking the time. I really appreciate it!