1995 OMC 5.0/Cobra drive cooling question

Devins0202

Recruit
I am not new to boats, but i am new to inboards. Just bought a very clean Seaswirl, 1995 with a 5.0/ cobra outdrive. It has a belt driven raw waterpump. The guy i purchased it from says he just replaced the impeller in this pump. He tells me there is no pump in the lower unit. So my question is, is there an impeller in the lower unit also? I know the simple answer is to take it apart, but id hate to do that and then have to wait on parts to put it back together. Thanks in advance.

vasy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No.
There is just one impeller in the water pump on the side of the engine.

southkogs

Staff member
I am by no means an expert on the Cobras, but isn't there an impeller in the upper drive and the circulation pump up on the engine?

If I'm not mistaken the belt driven pump is just the circulation pump up in the engine, and the raw water pump is down in the drive (upper gear case, I think).

vasy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am by no means an expert on the Cobras, but isn't there an impeller in the upper drive and the circulation pump up on the engine?
QUOTE]

No, you are thinking of a pre-94 models.
Don't think of your outdrive as OMC, but think of it as Volvo-Sx.
Very nice and reliable drive, just parts a darn expensive.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Agreed the 94-98 Cobras were identical to the same year Volvo SX. Same parts, parts numbers, etc.