Can a 4.3 engine be removed and replaced without pulling the omc outdrive?

cup of Joe

Seaman
Hello, I have A 1985 OMC stringer 800 with a 4.3 cracked engine block,
Can the engine be R&R removed and replaced with out removing the out drive?
Seems like it would be impossible to slide the engine on to the gimbal bearing and shaft.

southkogs

Staff member
There is no gimbal bearing and shaft on an '85 Stringer. The outdrive on a Stringer isn't attached to the boat at all, it relies on it's connection to the intermediate housing. As a bonus though, you don't have the alignment issues on a Stringer that you do on a Mercruiser.

Removal of the drive is pretty fast and easy (and so is installation). Just mind your shift cable - it's expensive to replace.

cup of Joe

Seaman
Thank you Southkogs,
Quote" Removal of the drive is pretty fast and easy (and so is installation). Just mind your shift cable - it's expensive to replace."
But what about Removal and replaced of engine with out removing the out drive?

southkogs

Staff member
But what about Removal and replaced of engine with out removing the out drive?
I would doubt the leg would fit through the transom hole, but no rule against doing it that way I suppose. Though, I think removing the boot is pretty essential to the process and having the drive outta' yer' way there would be easier.

You have to swap the drive over to the new engine anyway, right? Pulling it is literally the fastest part of this process I would think.

cup of Joe

Seaman
Than you southkogs,
I just replaced the transome seal, tilt motor.
I'm having trouble finding a 4.3 marine engine short block.
I think I'm going to stay with the boats I know the best, Inboards, V-drives and borg warner velvet drives with a muscle engine.
This omc can go out for parts boat.
Thanks for all your help. PJ

southkogs

Staff member
Oh - I thought you were trying to fix "the boat." Yeah: if it's an option - go on from the Stringer. I liked mine, and there are some things that I like about 'em in general. BUT, they're obsolete. Most techs don't like 'em. Parts can be tougher to find.

Part that mug out and get something with a Mercruiser or inboard of your liking.

Bondo

Staff member
Than you southkogs,
I just replaced the transome seal, tilt motor.
I'm having trouble finding a 4.3 marine engine short block.
I think I'm going to stay with the boats I know the best, Inboards, V-drives and borg warner velvet drives with a muscle engine.
This omc can go out for parts boat.
Thanks for all your help. PJ

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,..... Don't judge All I/Os by that OMC Stringer drive,....

It became obsolete the year that 1 was built,... OMC went belly-up 10 years later,.....

Mercruiser, 'n Volvo are very, Very Very different drivelines,....

cup of Joe

Seaman
I found a rebuilt 4.3 1985 , from Tri-Star engines
PART # P4049M 4.3L REMANUFACTURED MARINE ENGINE
•4.3L Marine Engine
•Fits 1985 Applications
Online price:
$2,292.00
To much $$$ for this boat.It is going for sale for a parts boat.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
1985 4.3 is a one-year-wonder. I would suggest finding a 1986 or newer 4.3 and getting a ford coupler button and having it machined for the 1-piece RMS crank

cup of Joe

Seaman
I have thought of getting a chevy S-10 4.3 engine for the boat.
I can get one for 300 bucks.
But one the other hand i'm thinking , just sell the Boat for parts. If it is so hard to find parts for that 1985 Stinger.
than I should have no problems selling it.
Then buy a boat that does not need repairs.

cup of Joe

Seaman
What about replacing the 1985 4.3 engine with a Chevy S-10 or Blazer 4.3 ??
All the marine stuff on the omc engine should fit, Starter, altenator, flywheel, distributor, ECT.
Has anybody done this??
i have done it on inboard V-drive or borg warners. Corvette engines, Ford mustang engines, They fit just fine.

Bondo

Staff member
What about replacing the 1985 4.3 engine with a Chevy S-10 or Blazer 4.3 ??
All the marine stuff on the omc engine should fit, Starter, altenator, flywheel, distributor, ECT.
Has anybody done this??

Ayuh,.... Sure,.... But ya need a 1985, or ya gotta build a custom coupler as Scott said,.....

cup of Joe

Seaman
Thanks Bondo,
Why can't I just bolt on the coupler to the old 1985 4.3 fly wheel attached to S-10 truck 4.3 engine?

Bondo

Staff member
Because the rear main seal was changed in 1986, so the bolt patterns changed as well in 1986,.....
You could use a motor, Up to 1985,..... after 1985, the crankshaft, 'n seal are Different,....
The 4.3l was only built in 1985 in that configuration,....

kenny nunez

Captain
It is is not hard to re machine and re drill the coupler. Any machine shop can do that. I had several machined that way with no problems.

cup of Joe

Seaman
Thanks Kenny and bondo, I am not pulling the engine the block is ok no crack.
the water came from the exhaust manifolds, those darn batwings had internal leak into the ports.