Outdrive Omc to sx

maliv

Recruit
Hallo i need advice about omc King Cobra. I have boat with King cone clutch Outdrive and i want to convert it to sx dp. Transom hole is the same what about coupler transom plate .... any help would be wellcome

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
I think you're going to have to study the OE parts catalog that BRP maintains to see what parts are the same and what parts are different by comparing part numbers. You can find it on BRPs website or over at Crowley Marine's website. Just off the top of my head I think the inner and outer transom plates are different, not sure about the coupler. If you post up your model # that would help....

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
If you have the ford 460, you will need to replace everything prop to pulley

Bondo

Staff member
Hallo i need advice about omc King Cobra. I have boat with King cone clutch Outdrive and i want to convert it to sx dp. Transom hole is the same what about coupler transom plate .... any help would be wellcome

Ayuh,...... Welcome Aboard,.... What motor ya got,..??

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
The Cone Clutch King Cobra was never used with the 460, that one had the "baby King" which was a standard Cobra transom mount, standard upper gear housing and the V8 outboard lower unit. Used only with the Ford 460. The Cone Clutch ("Daddy King") Cobra was completely different, much larger and built like a Bravo. They were used behind Chevrolet 454s, and Ford 351s for a few years. I have seen exactly one, on a Four Winns Liberator with a Chevrolet 454.

http://www.allamericandriveservice.com/OMCCobra.html

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Howdy Welcome aboard!

MORE INFO. what do you have? (It may not be possible to do a swap unless you replace the transom mount, inner transom plate and flywheel housing (depending which engine you have of course.)

The Cone Clutch King Cobra was never used with the 460

The 1990 460 Cobra was a cone clutch model. 754APEPWS (It used the Spitfire ignition and was probably the worst dinosaur of them all!)

Maclin

Admiral
One item not specifically mentioned so far is the raw water pump location. If you go prop-to-pulleys it does not matter. But an SX duo-prop has raw water pump on the engine and the Cobra series has it in the sterndrive. The posters thus far are not saying it explicitly, but trying to "just" go to an SX with same engine may be problematic in that area.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
One item not specifically mentioned so far is the raw water pump location. If you go prop-to-pulleys it does not matter. But an SX duo-prop has raw water pump on the engine and the Cobra series has it in the sterndrive. The posters thus far are not saying it explicitly, but trying to "just" go to an SX with same engine may be problematic in that area.
All the SX drives use an engine mounted raw water pump.

But until the OP actually gets his post count above 1, none of us are going to know what he has.:rolleyes: