Stern drive submerged now after adding a kicker motor

grampadirt

Cadet
So as the title states the stern drive is completely submerged when I have the kicker motor on the boat.From lifting it it seems like it weighs less than a hundred pounds but add that to the 6 gl.fuel tank and the 2nd. battery I added it might be too much weight at the stern.So...will this cause damage to the sterndrive?

Thanks for any help.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Important info from your 1st post
.... a '84 Galaxy......

...For a little 2.5l four banger it goes pretty good,been to a local lake a few times now.......

Post a pix, added weight of a trolling motor shouldnt make it sit that much lower....

W the combined 6gals of gas, battery and trolling motor maybe, but not enough to bury the entire stern drive....

What trolling motor?

Unfortunately, I'd bet your boat is over its original as built weight by quite a bit. Water below deck.....

Hows the boats interior?

Original?

Possibly too nice (new) for what you paid?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
The gearcase is waterproof.

However, i agree that a kicker and related gear shouldn't have the back end sitting that low.

You may want to weigh the boat to see if you are carrying hundreds of pounds of water

grampadirt

Cadet
I'll post a pic as soon as I'm allowed.OK,so if I'm at the stern steering the kicker my added weight (250lbs.) can't help.Looking in the bilge there is no water.I suppose I can get an extension for the kicker steering arm so I can be further away from the stern.Also I can remove the 2nd. battery for now,it's only there for when I add a stereo.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I'll post a pic as soon as I'm allowed.OK,so if I'm at the stern steering the kicker my added weight (250lbs.) can't help.Looking in the bilge there is no water.I suppose I can get an extension for the kicker steering arm so I can be further away from the stern.Also I can remove the 2nd. battery for now,it's only there for when I add a stereo.

adding an extension bracket would only move the weight further aft, which would create a larger moment on the aft of your boat. this would be like adding more weight

do you have a picture of your boat sitting while in the water?

and your stringer drive is fine being fully submerged. once your on plane it will be up out of the water. I still suggest getting your 33+ year old boat weighed to determine if you are waterlogged.

grampadirt

Cadet
adding an extension bracket would only move the weight further aft, which would create a larger moment on the aft of your boat. this would be like adding more weight

do you have a picture of your boat sitting while in the water?

and your stringer drive is fine being fully submerged. once your on plane it will be up out of the water. I still suggest getting your 33+ year old boat weighed to determine if you are waterlogged.

OK,I'll work on getting it weighed.Probably need to remove everything inside the boat to get an accurate weight,right?Sorry,no pic yet of it in the water.I'll get a pic next time it's in the water.

southkogs

Staff member
How much different does your boat sit in the water without the kicker and the gas tank in it?

The Stringers sat pretty much submerged on most boats anyway. And when I would walk to the back of my old Silverline, I'm sure it went in a little more - but honestly, I couldn't notice the stern drop. My point being, if it's just shifted an inch or so into the water from what it sat like before it's probably no big deal.

Can you still plane out okay?

grampadirt

Cadet
Click image for larger version  Name:	at the dock after being towed in resized.png Views:	1 Size:	466.8 KB ID:	10530127

I took this pic from a video I shot the day the engine got extremely hot due to impeller failure.It's also before I mounted the kicker.The stern drive is clearly above water level,I'm beginning to think I simply had too much stuff in the rear.It gets up on plane effortlessly.

I still have to weigh it though....

Last edited:

jbcurt00

Staff member
Yep, when you said submerged, I expected all the rest of the outdrive below water as well....

might just be you, the kicker, extra battery and the gas....

surprised that I/O has a 6gal portable tank...

southkogs

Staff member
Here's my old boat sitting pier side. This was normal for it:
Boat7.jpg

grampadirt

Cadet
OK,I see yours is under water all the time....nice boat BTW.The 6gl. gas tank is for the kicker,the main tank is 20gl.Guess I'm just worrying too much,I'll use it as is.It's a good running boat but I have tune up parts I'm going to install when I get a chance.Thanks for your help.