Boat salvage yards

Status
Not open for further replies.

centanni

Recruit
I would like to go to the local salvage yard, (helping hands of America) maybe to purchase a used boat and motor.
​The problem with this place they don't allow you to try and start the boat motors.
don't think its intentional. I believe they don't have the means to accommodate.
​However they also sell used cars and folks are able to start them up and drive them around before they purchase.

​From the appearene some of the boats look in good shape, however I'm a little leery of not being able to hear the engines run.

​Question: Are there any tell tale things to look for in cases like this ? Any ideas on what to look for externally that might help me make a educated guess about condition

​Frankie
​Massachusetts.

SeaDooSam

Chief Petty Officer
I know what place you are talking about. I have been there a few times and their boats have often seemed high priced to me. Dont thy have some info about the boats when you go up to the window?

If the boat is clean and/or had a canvas cover then it was most likely taken care of. Also, check the cleanliness of the bilge.

You could also check the dipstick and/or some of the spark plugs. if they are complete trash the boat may not have been properly cared for.

These are usually telltale signs of if it was taken care of.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I would never buy a boat without a seatrial.

alldodge

Staff member
If unable to run it, I would assume the engine is damaged even if its not.

southkogs

Staff member
This is me and my cheapskate scheming ... YMMV ...

If you're talking about spending a couple/few hundred bucks on a boat you can't test, but you're pretty sure the hull and trailer are in good shape - then I may take that leap (depending on the drive type I'd have to replace) ... and hope I scored on the driveline.

The new buyer's checklist (HERE) is really the best road map on looking at a potential boat to buy.

If they're trying to get market value on a working boat, but you can't confirm it's a working boat ... then steer clear.

Do they offer any sort of 30 day return?

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... 'round here, craigslist, 'n the like is where to be lookin' for either runnin' boats, or donor boats, especially this time a year,....

Winter is fast approachin', 'n folks wanta dump, insteada storin' a boat,....

centanni

Recruit
I want to 'Thank you all' for your thoughts, its what I wanted to hear.

I will check with their front desk and ask about any records they may have on these boats and as far as I know its buyer beware and no returns unless they have changed policy, i'll ask next time I go there.
I do realize its a gamble to deal with a situation such as this at a marine salvage yard, hearing the engine run is best.
Craigslist ..yes I have been looking also.
Thanks for that buyers check list, I'll save that one.

Frankie
Massachusetts

Status
Not open for further replies.