Liberator bb460 alternator?

211libwtfo

Petty Officer 1st Class
I think my alternator went bad on my liberator. Ran it for about ten miles at cruising speed with my perco switch on all. I shut it down we floated for a bit went to start it back up and click click click turned the switch to 1 battery both or the other battery click click. Gotta jump. And on the ride home had to keep all the electronics off but still not running right. ALTERNATOR? And being a big block Ford 460 can I get a generic alternator? Thanks for the help.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
the alternator needs to be marine alternator

I myself would simply find a local electrical shop that repairs/rebuilds rotating electrics. usually a diode pack and a pair of new bearings and your off and running.

211libwtfo

Petty Officer 1st Class
Yea Scotty thanks I called the local "go to" shop they didn't have one on the shelf and said the manufacturer stopped making this alternator in 2012. I found remans online for like $300 ish. The area rebuild shop said no more $125. So guess its on to a rebuilt one.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
It's pretty much a "Generic"....... I still have the alternator that came off my former 460. It will work on my Mercruiser. And the regulator is internal. Your best bet would still be to get it rebuilt.

211libwtfo

Petty Officer 1st Class
Having trouble loading pic but I have the late Motorola/prestolite alternator there were 4 wires hooked up to it but there's no ground going to the ground screw should there

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Having trouble loading pic but I have the late Motorola/prestolite alternator there were 4 wires hooked up to it but there's no ground going to the ground screw should there

Do you have the OMC (NOT Seloc or Clymer) service manual for your model? You can view the wiring diagram there....

Most alternators in boats are grounded though the frame connections. Sometimes there's a bonding strap ...... yours grounds directly through the block ground (which makes it of the utmost importance that the ground strap is clean and tight!)

211libwtfo

Petty Officer 1st Class
I do not have the omc owners manual. So when I took the voltage regulator apart underneath the rectifier was corroded to hell. I'm hoping that was part of the problem and it was filthy. I gonna put it back on and test it in the driveway.

211libwtfo

Petty Officer 1st Class
So I've got 12.31dcv on the output side of my alternator. I've read it's supposed to be 14 ish but is this reading ok

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
I would take the alt over to Autozone and have them test it. Their test setup will tell you if it's working correctly or not. 12.3V is not correct for a working alternator. It should be around 13.8- 14.2v when charging.

12V (nominal) is what you measure on a fully charged battery.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
A good alt should put out about 14.2V. I put an Arco in my OMC about 2 years ago and it was a perfect fit.

211libwtfo

Petty Officer 1st Class
I thought I'd get away with dismantling it cleaning and putting it back in but it probably needs a diode pak or something. But for the wife's trust factor I'm going to put a new one in. $125 at the local rebuild shop.

211libwtfo

Petty Officer 1st Class
Soo I've put a new alternator in and I believe the old one was wired improperly. Cause when I got the new one it had a purple wire, looking from the back, on the left and a red wire on the right. The old alternator was wired in reverse. After I hooked everything up we took the liberator for a ride it ran great the trim tabs worked better than ever the gas gauge worked the tach was more accurate best $125 spent in awhile.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Soo I've put a new alternator in and I believe the old one was wired improperly. Cause when I got the new one it had a purple wire, looking from the back, on the left and a red wire on the right. The old alternator was wired in reverse. After I hooked everything up we took the liberator for a ride it ran great the trim tabs worked better than ever the gas gauge worked the tach was more accurate best $125 spent in awhile.

Did you ever post a pic of your boat? We all (of course) want to see!!

Good job! None of this stuff is very hard is it?

211libwtfo

Petty Officer 1st Class
We have 3 kids so really I can only afford to work it myself and also I very resourceful and can usually trade work or pick up side jobs to augment the cost. I guess being an electrician has its perks.