Trim motor problems on my OMC 140hp I/O Motor

wongsta

Cadet
I recently noticed that when i go to tilt my stern drive it goes back down immediately( drive does not lock in position). When i pulled off the cover for the gear box section i saw a set of friction plates and nothing obviously wrong; so i removed the tilt motor and realise i was able to spin the shaft it couples on quite freely. Is there anything in between the worm gear and the motor that could possibly be disconnected

kenny nunez

Captain
If you look closely on left side of the shaft there is a groove for a snap ring that is either missing or someone took the clutch pack apart and left the shims out. It takes a press and some special tools to reassemble the clutch pack. Be sure that there is a nylon washer on either side of the hammer blow coupling. If the motor is good put it back on and have the clutch pack serviced.

wongsta

Cadet
well i took off the cap for the housing and saw snap ring in place followed by 3 washers then sets of friction discs.. Is it that those things need to be pressed on again because i pushed it on as far as i could and the reset the snap ring in position. Thats why i am a bit lost now.

kenny nunez

Captain
The washers are spring steel and that is why you need a press. If the snap is in the groove then there are parts missing.

wongsta

Cadet
Hey thanks for the info the snap ring actually wasn't in the groove so all the discs were just floating...Clamped them all together and set back the snap ring it's all good now 🖒