OMC 800 tilt mechanism questions....

Chesticus

Cadet
Hello all.

OK.... real quick.

1) Pulled the clutch pack from the tilt mechanism. Oil came out. No water.

2) Everything looked really good, but... on one of the clutch plates some of the teeth were a little damaged or bent.

3) I am not really sure how this thing works so can I clean these up (I could file them down) or should I look to replace them?

4) Also I found what looks like a "ring" about halfway between the size of a dollar and a quarter ( it was broke) and very thin. Is this a spacer/shim? I have seen these taken apart and I have not seen this before.

Anyway thanks for any advice.

Jim

southkogs

Staff member
I'm assuming you're referring to one of the shims above. I've not opened one of those packs up, but maybe this'll help you?

Screen Shot 2016-09-06 at 1.49.48 PM.png

superbenk

Commander
Once you pull the clutch pack apart it's tough to get back together again because you have to compress the spring washers while inserting a c-clip retainer. The shop manual says to clean the pack by disassembling & soaking the clutch discs in 30wt oil overnight.

The teeth in the plates act like keys in the ring gear so just getting them cleaned up should be fine so long as they can slide in the grooves.

Surprised you didn't find water in there. That's pretty rare as I understand it. Good luck!

Chesticus

Cadet
Another tilt mechanism question..

Hello everyone. I hope the holidays are treating you well.

I have an OMC 800. The tilt clutch is finally close to being done. But how thick does the tilt clutch thickness have to be? The original is gone. My friend can machine a new one, but I was wondering if anyone knew of a starting point to make the new one.

Thanks

jim Lowery

Chesticus

Cadet
The shim was destroyed I guess. So my friend is going to make one if we can figure out the thickness. Other wise we will have to sneak up on it. He also has access to a press at work if needed.

Thanks

Jim Lowery

southkogs

Staff member
I'll have to see if I have one in my stash, but so far I can't find the thickness of it.

Chesticus

Cadet
By the ways everyone. It was a shim problem. My friend is a machinist. He made shims in .005 of an inch increments. Finally working correctly. Thanks for all of the help and advice people.

But now the engine will not stay running.

On to the next problem.

Jim Lowery