HELP! engine block spraying coolant. omc cobra v6 1989

pacer1

Recruit
my engine block has just started pissing water from both sides of the block. the water in spraying out of a small brass port on each side just under the header. the spray is about a 16th of an inch wide. what are these ports? and why has it just started happening? the motor is running fine and i have no water in my oil. I just purchased the boat this year and am starting to think the guy had the drain plugs in finger tight and they have just now vibrated out....maybe. please help me internet!

pacer1

Recruit
there is nothing to tighten. just a 1/4" hole on each side i thing there is a female thread but i cant exactly see to tell.

Redrig

Master Chief Petty Officer
search around for the tops , those are just the drains . There should be a top piece that you tighten down in your bilge somewhere if they fell off

pacer1

Recruit
i cant seem to find anything in the bilge. i have a couple .25" brass plugs around and cant seem to get it started... tight spot. is it a threaded plug or what?

Bridar

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The drain should look something like this. The removable end plug may have a 'wing nut' or a 'hex nut' head.

Last edited:

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
i cant seem to find anything in the bilge. i have a couple .25" brass plugs around and cant seem to get it started... tight spot. is it a threaded plug or what?
Howdy,
Welcome aboard!

They should be threaded, but the threads may be rusty enough to prevent screwing the plugs back in if they've been out a long time. Probably too "tight" to get a pipe tap in there and 'chase' them out?

They may not have leaked before because there was rust flakes blocking the holes that may have broken free.....

pacer1

Recruit
thanks for your advice. i think you may be right about the rust blockage. still no luck though.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
You may have to remove the manifolds and/or other "stuff" to get in there with a drill and a tap. Use brass plugs and either T-tape or a good pipe "dope" on the plugs.

pacer1

Recruit
got it! there were two shallow brass allen key 3/8 plugs in there that were rotted out with pinholes. had to take the manifolds out to tell. any ways thanks for every ones input. i am off to get manifold gaskets.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
got it! there were two shallow brass allen key 3/8 plugs in there that were rotted out with pinholes. had to take the manifolds out to tell. any ways thanks for every ones input. i am off to get manifold gaskets.

You may have to drill them out and tap the hole for the next size pipe thread (1/2" etc) If you do, you can put a brass fitting reducer (back to 3/8") in there so you can still use a 3/8" brass plug.

What ever you use, remember you don't to screw them into the cast iron very tight. You want to be able to get them out easily at the end of the season so you can drain the block and get a piece of wire to poke around in there to loosen rust flakes and other debris during draining.