Castaway Ray And Teflon Tape

Hooty

Rear Admiral
You may or may not know this but teflon tape and pipe dope are primarily used for tapered (pipe) threads. There intended use is to lubricate, not seal. There are numerous applications where the use of t/tape is down-right forbidden.<br /><br />c/6<br /><br />Hooty

SeaMasterZ@aol.com

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Castaway Ray And Teflon Tape

I did NOT know that Hooty ... I thought it was a sealer, Ill be dammned ... why not just use a shot of never seize? <br /><br />Learn something new every day, but do I use it on the tank fitting? or just run it in dry? :eek: <br /><br /> :D (Im bein good JB!!!!) :D :D :D :D :D

Hooty

Rear Admiral

If it's the female opening into the tank, it's probably a tapered (pipe) thread so use it. Be careful to keep the tape away from the end of the male fitting. If the tape shreads off, it has a nasty habit of find ittle bitty orficii and plug 'em up. That's why they keep it (the t/tape) away from fine (not musical) instruments. The rest of the threads are probably flared or compression fittings so no need to use. <br />... and yep, never-sieze or just a drop of oil will work fine. <br /><br />c/6<br /><br />Hooty

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Moving to General Outboard

grandx

Petty Officer 1st Class

Different thread, more to say. Should keep the threads together would make more sense. Here goes again, respectfully dis-agreeing, as I do have much respect for all posting here. <br /><br />I design pressure sealing (tapered)threads, and we pump some of the worst chemicals through our GRE pipe including gasoline and many much much worse chemicals at temperatures up to 220 F. TEFLON, PTFE is a prime ingredient in all the thread dopes we use, we even use teflon tape on some factory joints. (100% PTFE) is not chemically attacked or altered by gasoline, and I actually doubt that most PTFE tape is mixed with other plastics.<br /><br />PTFE is one of the slickest if not the slickest SOLIDS known to man, but it is not the slickest substance, many oils (liquids), including petroleum oils have a lower coefficient of friction than PTFE. <br /><br />Hooty, I've heard before how teflon was only a lubricant and not for sealing... This is incorrect, for instantace an API 8rd thread (pressure sealing tapered thread) when fully made up to the optimum position leaves a 0.003" gap between the root and crest of the threads, the flanks of the thread form a mechanical seal... without the sealant applied (teflon for one) to seal this gap area... the joint will leak at a given pressure.<br /><br />Now on to the meat of the original post, there's little pressure in the plastic tank and the brass thread will likely deform the plastic and seal without the teflon, or you could put it in. 1/2 dozen to one 6 to another.

SeaMasterZ@aol.com

Lieutenant Commander

actually, its a suction fitting, I guess air going in would be the big bugaboo ... and I dont see that happening in sufficient quantity to be a problem ... your mentioning pressure in the tank sparked the DOH center of my brain, lol, the only pressure is when she sits, and vapor will get out<br /><br />jeeze!<br /><br />Still, thanks to everyone for the VERY educational answers, even a dummy like me learns something now and then!<br /><br /> :D