Mixing synthetic blend two-cycle oil and non-synthetic oil

bhoen

Recruit
I have a 1994 60HP Johnson outboard motor. It's a 2-stroke engine with an oil injection reservoir. I've been using non-synthetic Evinrude/Johnson 2 stroke outboard oil that meets (or exceeds) the TCW-3 standards. I've seen the Evinrude Ficht RAM injection synthetic blend 2 cycle oil and have heard that it's a cleaner oil that leaves less carbon deposits in the cylinders. <br /><br />First of all, is it really a better oil to be using? If so and I start using this new synthetic blend oil, do I have to empty the non-synthetic oil from the oil injection reservoir or can I add it to the non-synthetic oil already in the reservoir?

Spidybot

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Mixing synthetic blend two-cycle oil and non-synthetic oil

There should be no worries mixing the two. Suggest you run it low before switching.<br /><br />Opnions on oil vary. Personally I prefer a well known brand, mineral, oil and have no problems.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral
Re: Mixing synthetic blend two-cycle oil and non-synthetic oil

The FICHT Ram synthetic blend oil will mix OK with any other TC-W3 lube. You will find that it smokes less and that you will have a cleaner running motor. Let your oil tank get close to empty, then add the new oil to it.