Teflon tape on lower unit plug ok?

Sand Bass

Seaman
I am going fishing in the morning and decided to check lower unit oil (I am excessive compulsive). I normally install a new washer but I could not find one. I decided to wrap the threads with a little teflon tape to make sure plug does not leak. Are there any known problems with this?<br /><br />Thanks

radsrh

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Teflon tape on lower unit plug ok?

I would not recommend using teflon tape to seal the plug on a lower unit, it is not made for that purpose and I don't think it will stop the entry of water. There are very few threads on the drain plug for the tape to make a good seal, did you put the old washer back on with the tape? I would get a new washer and scrap the tape idea.

Squeakit

Petty Officer 1st Class

I routinely use Teflon tape on the L.U. plugs on my 50hp Force - seems to work just fine. I was getting a little bit of water leaking past the washers and the Teflon cured this. Don't see it as a problem.

Squeakit

Petty Officer 1st Class

I should have added that I use the tape in addition to the washers. I don't think the tape would work by itself

D

DJ

Sand Bass,<br /><br />It won't hurt for one outing.<br /><br />I wouldn't make a habit of it, especially considering how cheap those O'rings are.

Sand Bass

Seaman

Thanks for the quick replies. I did use the o-ring and the tape. I do not plan to do it in the future. I just wanted a little extra insurance this weekend (will be fishing 3 days in a row). I usually replace the o-ring each time I remove the plugs. After I did it I was concerned that a small piece of tape could end up in lower unit and cause a problem. Thanks Again!