WHAT IS THE BEST OUTBOARD ENGINE TO BUY??

brianmerc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My friends and I had a debate the other night on which outboard engine was the best. So...Which outboard engine performs the best? What is the best overall outboard engine?

D

DJ

Re: WHAT IS THE BEST OUTBOARD ENGINE TO BUY??

There are almost 20,000 memebers of this board. <br /><br />I believe you'll get about that many differing opinions. :eek:

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

Thats easy. Its the one that you maintain properly, and the one that gets you out and back every time with no worry. Thats being said, I'm a Merc fan, so Mercs are the best in my opinion....

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

If you take care of them, about any of them are good.<br />It is all on how you treat them.<br />I am a Merc/Mariner person myself.<br />I like both.<br />I have also had Johnny/rudes that were good also.<br />I just like my Mariner.<br />"Nothing can be finer than your inliner"

dmessy

Chief Petty Officer

If Sears don't make it, you don't need it :D

Reel Appeal

Chief Petty Officer

Hmmm,thats kind of a loaded question.My picks would be Johnson first with Mercury a close second.Both are high quality motors.Alot depends on application and maintenance.Mercury leans towards higher performance,where Johnson is ruggedly built for dependability.<br />The BEST outboard is a good pair of oars! :D

papasage

Senior Chief Petty Officer

loaded gun :eek: :rolleyes: .i have onley owned johnson&evinrude untill reasentley. havent got the merc .fixed yet .iknow the merc. useto be rated different than omc and some other brands . i understand that they are rated the same now. i have 6 motors merc. omc & chrysler. ilike them all they are paidfor. they will git me out on the lake . well my merc will as soon as i git a piston . :D

RJS

Petty Officer 1st Class

I think most outboards today are pretty good. I don't think it's right to say one brand is better than another. Outboard manufacturers produce an engine line-up that spans from portable to large 6 cylinders. Each manufacture has strengths and weaknesses in their line-up. It all boils down to wants, needs, and the particular application. No manufacturer makes the best engine for all applications

Jack Shellac

Lieutenant Commander

For saltwater use: In older motors, OMC's because of their proven record for holding up. For a new motor, I'd have to go with Yamaha.

miloman

Lieutenant Junior Grade

hands down a new rude etec if your buying new it is the best motor design I have ever seen

RJS

Petty Officer 1st Class

Milo,<br /><br />Were you able to test ride with the E-tech? Are these available? I would love to get a look at these first hand, they look and sound pretty cool.

rolmops

Vice Admiral

I like the ones that not only get me out on the lake,but then even if the electronics break down have the possibility to wrap a rope around a flywheel and start her that way to get back.<br />So my answer would be the omc engines of the seventies and eighties.

Forktail

Ensign

Most definitely one that gets you out and back over and over again. So that would be a Yamaha. ;)

flatsman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Buy American Made products ----- Rice burners are late comers to the game ----- anyway we need to keep jobs at home. American Manufacturers can beat the competition . Plus parts avalibilty is much better. note; I personally find the fact that american manufacturers that are putting their logo on engines made out of the country sicking . MY Thoughts exactly ---Amen

S.T. Marine

Petty Officer 1st Class

New evinrude Fuel injected motors are great. Have almost the same emmisionsas honda 4 strokes. they are 3 star motors now.

45_red

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Best would be the brand carried by a local dealer you know and trust.

NOSLEEP

Commander

I like the new Evinrude / Bombardier with direct<br />injection. fastest, cleanest and lightest.<br />More Gooder. ;)

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

I don't know which is best, but if I find a bright yellow one with green striping, I'm gonna buy it.

Skinnywater

Commander

Ditto with what 45-red said.<br /><br />Just happend to spend my American dollars at an American boat dealer that was owned by an American that employs Americans that carried a Japanese name (Honda) that has a corporate office in America that bought American aluminum and steel to manufacture it and paid a share of American taxes and dutys to bring it here.<br /><br />Next year an American company may paint it bright yellow with green striping and put an American name on it. :D :D :D

Fly Rod

Commander

:p Goodddd Morning!!! :) The Mariner by Merc was my best motor. :cool: Can't say about the Evinrude Ficht. :rolleyes: didn't have her long enough to get an opinon, :( she blew a powerhead with only 25 hrs. :eek: <br /><br />Just read an article the other day which says that Yamaha is the best all around. And that was from an independent survey. ;) :cool: <br /><br />just bought a 2003 Ficht Cant beat the warranty. Hope that I don't have to use it. Bought me one of them $99.00, 50 mile tow packages just in case.My pappy says better to be safe then sorryyyy!!!<br /><br />used up my allotment of Graemlins!!!