WHAT IS THE BEST OUTBOARD ENGINE TO BUY??

hitace

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: WHAT IS THE BEST OUTBOARD ENGINE TO BUY??

So trying to reduce the amount of rubbish pumped into your environment is a bad thing?

The other manufacturers managed to comply with EPA and didn't die. As someone else said, produce a bad outboard and the public will kill it. That's what happened here. Manufacturers get years of notice about the changes coming and it's up to them to make products that comply, not complain when their produces are rubbish...

And since so many posters have made reference to 'older' engines, I'd like to add to that particular debate. Someone needs to draw a line in the sand and say that anything built before 19xx is no longer acceptable for use. These old engine may well be reliable, but they are outdated and they wouldn't even get on the dial of the pollution meters. They are horribly ineffecient and are adding heavily to our already overburdened environment. Time to retire these oldies, no matter how good you think they are, and get something more in line with looking after the future, not the past.

Chris...........

They are horribly ineffecient how so? they are much cheaper to buy.parts are much much cheaper and they last a lifetime.I can get a 1955 evinrude for 40 bucks and fully rebuild it for about 250. much much cheaper then a new motor.and you know what that 1955 evinrude will outlive any 2008.

NO ONE WILL EVER STOP ME FROM USING MY OLD MOTORS NOOOOOO ONE YOU HERE ME NO ONE.THEY WOULD HAVE TO PRY THEM FROM MY DEAD COLD HANDS.I WILL RUN CARBED 2 STROKES TO THE DAY I DIE.I WILL NEVER RETIRE MY OLDIE'S NEVER!!!!.I DO NOT USE THEM EVERYDAY BECAUSE MOST ALREADY HAVE MORE HOURS ON THEM THEN ANY 4 STROKE WILL EVER HAVE.DONT WORRY THO THEY WILL STAY RUNNING BECAUSE I RUN EXTRA OIL IN THEM ;)

ARE YOU A NEW OUTBOARD DEALER?

achris

More fish than mountain goat

They are horribly ineffecient how so? they are much cheaper to buy.parts are much much cheaper and they last a lifetime.I can get a 1955 evinrude for 40 bucks and fully rebuild it for about 250. much much cheaper then a new motor.and you know what that 1955 evinrude will outlive any 2008.

NO ONE WILL EVER STOP ME FROM USING MY OLD MOTORS NOOOOOO ONE YOU HERE ME NO ONE.THEY WOULD HAVE TO PRY THEM FROM MY DEAD COLD HANDS.I WILL RUN CARBED 2 STROKES TO THE DAY I DIE.I WILL NEVER RETIRE MY OLDIE'S NEVER!!!!.I DO NOT USE THEM EVERYDAY BECAUSE MOST ALREADY HAVE MORE HOURS ON THEM THEN ANY 4 STROKE WILL EVER HAVE.DONT WORRY THO THEY WILL STAY RUNNING BECAUSE I RUN EXTRA OIL IN THEM ;)

ARE YOU A NEW OUTBOARD DEALER?

No, I'm not!!! And don't start the 'cold dead hands' thing either! :mad:

If the lawmakers follow suit with the rest of the world, and they will eventually, you will have no choice.

Sorry Hitace, it's time you woke up and smelt the pollution...

Chris...............

hitace

Petty Officer 1st Class

No, I'm not!!! And don't start the 'cold dead hands' thing either! :mad:

If the lawmakers follow suit with the rest of the world, and they will eventually, you will have no choice.

Sorry Hitace, it's time you woke up and smelt the pollution...

Chris...............

well if they do ban old 2 strokes everywhere it wont stop me from using them that is for damn sure.If someone ever tryed to take away my old irons they would get shot.Go try and sell your new motors else where

achris

I certainly hope you do take a shot at someone... Then they can lock you away, and you'll never use those antiquated pieces of polluting junk again!:D Take that moron heston with too....

Bye for now... :D

jbjennings

Captain

Chris,
Surely you can see the logic in WBeaton's post. Most old 2-strokes that are in running condition are in the hands of guys that know how to work on 'em and can appreciate the engineering that made them so reliable. There aren't that many still out there being used. To outlaw antique outboards to fight pollution is just not sensible. The percentage of the total pollution by antique outboards and cars/motorcycles (you get the idea) is so miniscule that I would think anybody could see how ridiculous it would be to outlaw them. Like you, I want to be a steward of the land, but I really feel I'm helping the environment by using these oldies rather than buying new, as WBeaton tried to explain. Even in California (our most strict state environmentally) lawmakers understood this and made an exception for emissions standards for antique cars. I hope there will be a similar exception for old outboards. 2-strokes are being pretty much phased out here with the exception of the new, cleaner Direct injection E-tecs. I'm all for innovation but I don't see a need to plague a FEW fishermen and collectors that adore their old motors when we ignore the real environmental problems in the interest of keeping money flowing to you-know-who. I have to wonder how many engine manufacturers, dealers, etc. have the monetary influence to exert on lawmakers to cause this legislation to be enacted in the other countries you speak of in order to force people to buy new motors. I know you to be a very helpful person and always enjoy reading your posts, but your viewpoint on these oldies really scares me. I have several old motors, like most people that still run the old ones, and can't use 'em all at once. Again, fewer and fewer are being used without legislation making them illegal. I firmly believe the type of legislation you're speaking of (not you) is not only unjustified, but darned spiteful to owners of old motors. That being said, I do respect your opinion, but hope you might change it. :)
Sincerely,
JBJ

achris

JBJ,

Thanks for your post... I understand where you are coming from. I accept that people will continue to own these engines. I don't have a problem with that either. I do have a problem when all I hear is how great they are. They were great, in their day, but their day is well and truly over. Nobody will stop people owning these old engines, but they will stop them using them in public waterways. It will happen, like it or not. As stated earlier, you can buy them for almost nothing, because that's what they are worth, nothing. And they won't outlaw the engines, they'll just introduce emission standards that all engines must meet. If you can make an old outboard meet those standards, by all means keep using it....

If we adopted the attitude that 'a few won't hurt' we'll end up with a world full of things that people have made exceptions for. And in the end all those 'few' will add up the a lot of things contributing to the problems... Is that the world you want your children to inherit?

Chris..........

Just to clarify my position... I have no interest in any business of any type, engine sales or otherwise. These opinions are completely personal and have no 'hidden agenda'. I am interested in a cleaner world, with nice clean air that we (and our children's children) can all breath without gas masks!

hitace

Petty Officer 1st Class

I certainly hope you do take a shot at someone... Then they can lock you away, and you'll never use those antiquated pieces of polluting junk again!:D Take that moron heston with too....

Bye for now... :D[/QUOTESHUT

Edit; We will not allow the intentions of what was posted here, on this forum.......
I'd ask that we stay on the right side of the fence here and cool it down a bit, please...
Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:

wbeaton

Commander

If we adopted the attitude that 'a few won't hurt' we'll end up with a world full of things that people have made exceptions for. And in the end all those 'few' will add up the a lot of things contributing to the problems... Is that the world you want your children to inherit?
Yes, that is precisely the world I want them to inherit.

Old outboards are only a drop in the bucket of recreational product pollution. I run my motors a lot in the summer, but I only go through maybe 100L of fuel in a season. So explain to me why your boat is more earth friendly than my dozens of motors? You are punishing the few for the problems of the many.

Inefficient as they may be, small kickers still don't use much fuel or create that much pollution. Now larger motors create larger problems, but few are running classic/antique outboards much larger than 40 hp and fewer still run them as their primary motors. Now the larger motors mostly came along in the 1960's. Motors built during and after the 1960's are much more efficient than their predecesors and pollute much less. Many of those designs lasted into the 1990's and are not as inefficient as you would have us believe.

Also, any motor that runs reliably for 50+ years is a great motor by definition.

wbeaton

Commander

Please show me a refrigerator or toaster that is 10 years old and still working efficiently and I'll buy it!

Also, I don't understand this quote. Does that mean your appliances don't last 10 years or that you re-buy them every 10 years? Its not important it just bothers me that I don't understand the comment.

whofan

Petty Officer 1st Class

Also, I don't understand this quote. Does that mean your appliances don't last 10 years or that you re-buy them every 10 years? Its not important it just bothers me that I don't understand the comment.

My 196? Kelvenator refrigerator (built by American Motors) running in my basement is quieter than my new one in my kitchen. It keeps beer nice and cold too.

My 2000 Johnson 2 Stroke 70 doesn`t run as nice as the new fuel injected motors but I feel it will out last me I`m 39. One of the last OMC`s I think I`ll keep her even though tempted by the new Yamahas.
Only three companys build vehicles, GM Ford & Chrysler is how I think being a car nut. I should keep my last of the American outboards last of the OMCs.

Chaz1

Seaman

Chris, take no offense by this but, you certainly seem to have an agenda here. My question is..... Why is it you have not entertained the idea of using a synthetic bio-degradable two-stroke oil for these older less efficient outboards. They are available, are they not? Seems to me that would keep everyone happy;).

BillP

Captain

Not to mention that the mfg of a new 15 hp outboard uses new resouces and causes more mfg polution before it even hits the showroom floor. Also, the impact of modern electronics mfg processes are way more eco UNfriendly than the processes of the 1950s. Knee jerk eco types look only at fuel burn emissions while somewhere on the planet the air and water is being heavily poluted by the manufacturing of their "modern clean running" ob motor.

4.0l sahara

Petty Officer 1st Class

I believe the use of the synthetic oil is a good thing. But old out board are not the problem it's the factories and power plants that need to be cleaned up. Thats the first thing the gov should work on is the major polluters like that. Also with the war and the bad economy I don't think the gov is thinking about old outboard and boat motors to much right now.:rolleyes: I personally like to 2 strokes and hope they make a come back with new technology. Like right now all new dirt bikes and quads are going to 4 stroke. But with the invention of dfi for 2 strokes I could see them making a come back. Just like cars in the 60's half the gas that whent in came right back out the tail pipe. But now cars have cats,egr,evap and many other things that help allot. If they applied stuff like this to 2 and 4 strokes it would really help clean stuff up. Think about it if you put a cat on a 2 stroke dfi it would be a pretty clean motor. But as for old outboards there is no need to make laws against them it wouldn't help thats not the problem .:D