which side of bulb to install clear view fuel filter?

ejbpesca

Cadet
Finding that I have no room to install a water separator on my small boat I have an inline little tube filter I want to install on the fuel line from the tank to the engine. Does it matter which side of the primer bulb it is installed? Before the in or after the out?

Also, if you have experience with this little filter, I know it will catch and show trash in the fuel but might it also show water in the fuel by filling it and looking for bubble like beads of water? Sure wish there was a small water separator like this little filter.

Any advice on this device would be appreciated.
jb

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Re: which side of bulb to install clear view fuel filter?

Small inline filters are usually intalled inside engine, that's right aftter fuel pump and carb. If you want to get rid of a original factory fuel filter can install a inline small one. No good to be installed on hose if being a portable engine in which you need to seat and remove constantly. Could end breaking it.

Happy Boating

Last edited:

SolingSailor

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My filter is installed between the tank and bulb. I've never noticed any water in it, so not sure it would show that.

foodfisher

Captain

Just before the carb. to stop any debris from clogging passages

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Ej - It looks like we gave you all the options, so you can't be confused. :facepalm: Really there is no right answer.

The most important thing said is to use a filter, which you are planning on anyway. I have a clear filter after the tank outlet (portable 6 gallon tank) before the bulb. My reasoning was/is to keep chunks out of the fuel line and see water before it becomes invisible in the hose. My carbs have internal screens, so if the bulb or fuel line decides to fall apart the screens should catch the crud because the chunks should be larger. Hope that helps.

Welcome aboard!

ejbpesca

Cadet

10-4 I'm going to go for pre bulb..I'm thinking it doesn't matter..works anywhere on line.

SolingSailor

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I agree that it probably doesn't matter. But just to beat a dead horse, here was my reasoning:
With the filter before the bulb, fuel will be drawn in to the filter by the suction of the bulb when the hand is relaxed, and air pressure.
With the bulb first, the fuel will be pushed through the filter by the force of the hand working the bulb.
I think I prefer the former.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

On a modern and assuming on an old portable tank too you have already a small mesh filter at lower fuel pick up extreme, so what's the point of having one right next to it, my personal prefference is to install one inside engine cowl right after fuel pump to catch small debris, usually dirt that has not been trapped on tank's mesh filter and before fuel is delivered to carb.

Other counterproductive point is that if you like to use a portable fully filled tank as a bow ballast running full hose lenght to back engine while using a small inline filter on hose, you could end breaking it specially if boaters are moving/stepping constantly on top deck. That would be very bad music in the event in which you can't replace it with a new one nor bypass the hose while drifting to Bermuda on a small boat.

Happy Boating

Last edited: