Smallest Outboard set up for remote steering and control

alumanut

Cadet
What is currently the lowest horsepower outboard that can be set up for remote steering, plus throttle and shift control? Has anyone made a kit to provide these features on a conventional 4 to 9.9 horsepower outboard? I think that steering would be easy - using the old steering cables and pulleys system - but the throttle and shift is the problem. I'm using a 14' O'day Javelin hull to build a simple pond and river cruiser - and forward controls would make it a tad more "elegant."

nwcove

Admiral
Re: Smallest Outboard set up for remote steering and control

find yourself a vintage 5.5hp/7.5/or 10 hp motor. the other stuff is available and easy to set up. jmo

limitout

Banned

look for the steering connection point under the front, there will be a threaded hole where the steering rod goes.

I would "think" 25hp is about the smallest you will find with it unless you go to a vintage motor as mentioned. this is because I think the older motors had them on as low as 5hp I think but im not sure on that.

the main problem with doing as you want is new controls & cables will cost a pretty penny and could range to $300-$400 and the steering and console another $300 so that "sticker shock" scares most people away from such ideas.

Last edited:

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

A late model OMC 9.9 will meet your requirements. I used to have a Johnson 6 and I think that would as well, but I don't own it any more so I can't check.

A used shift box can be had on ebay for less that $50, and new cables will run you about $15 each. You need to measure for the cables and order the correct length.

I bought a brand new cable/pulley steering "kit" for less than $100 a few years ago. It included everything including the wheel, helm and cable fittings. Some here will tell you that's not a good system, but we used them for a gazillion years without any issues. Certainly a 9.9 would work perfectly and safely. If you go with a more "modern" system it'll run in the $300+ range.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

My 9.8 Merc is set up with electric start and steering on my Wooster Hellion project. bought it that way. factory steering bracket bolts to two bosses under the tiller arm bracket.

A new teleflex helm steering assembly is about $109

hogg

Seaman

Stick steer is easy to make at home.
Either Hydraulic Ram or "Stiff Rod and Bellcrank.
colored stick steer.jpg

I have a set of Throttle/Shift cables with the ends, in my Barn I'll never use. $15 and you pay the shipping.
They were for an OMC, and about 15' long.

Last edited:

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

The 8 hp Tohatsu, Mercury, Nissan and Evinrude are all adaptable.

alumanut

Cadet

The 8 hp Tohatsu, Mercury, Nissan and Evinrude are all adaptable.

Does that include the current models? When you say adaptable, are you talking about aftermarket kits? 8 hp is "overkill" for the little boat I'm working with, but the remote steering/controls would allow me to move forward to balance the weight of the motor and gas tank - so the added hp probably wouldn't be a problem. Do any of the motors you mentioned have electric start - to complete the "remote" transition?

hogg

Seaman

Whatever append to Hodaka?

limitout

Banned

I bought a brand new cable/pulley steering "kit" for less than $100 a few years ago. It included everything including the wheel, helm and cable fittings. Some here will tell you that's not a good system, but we used them for a gazillion years without any issues. Certainly a 9.9 would work perfectly and safely. If you go with a more "modern" system it'll run in the $300+ range.

I love those old cable systems but didn't know they still sold them, we had em for years and other then a little stretching they never had an issue, well except fishing lines getting tangled in it but that's fisherman error lol.

Does that include the current models? When you say adaptable, are you talking about aftermarket kits? 8 hp is "overkill" for the little boat I'm working with, but the remote steering/controls would allow me to move forward to balance the weight of the motor and gas tank - so the added hp probably wouldn't be a problem. Do any of the motors you mentioned have electric start - to complete the "remote" transition?

in your case I suggest you follow hogs advice and look into buying or making a cable style stick steer system like for mud boats and such so you don't need anything for a steering wheel because it just bolts to the side rails

in reality it doesn't have to be a "steering ready" motor, all you need is a flat spot under the front of motor to drill and tap a hole for a mounting bolt or find a way to clamp a bracket or u-bolt onto it, then connect any steering system you want to it

Last edited:

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner

the pre 1972 mercury 3.9hp could be fitted for remote control