Power of 2 Stroke v 4 Stroke?

Scorpio

Cadet
Re: Power of 2 Stroke v 4 Stroke?

As some others I am new to the boat motor scene.<br />from what I understand Mercury has stopped making the 4 stroke carb for 2002. Switching to solely EFI. Yet other manufactures continue to make the 2 and 4 stroke carbs.It would nice to know why.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Why do you persist in repeating and repeating your JB bashing and baiting? <br /><br />Your protestations of being a victim are ludicrous. Neither are you a villian, just an angry person who wont be consoled.<br /><br />I offered apologies to anyone who felt offended and stated that it was not my intent to offend anyone. You responded with a personal attack and name calling. <br /><br />The deleted post is/was none of your business and had nothing to do with you. It was stupid of me to mention it.<br /><br />I offered to continue our debate off line. You apparently require an audience.<br /><br />So far you have called me childish, personal and snide. I have called you nothing, (well, I did call you an engineer) in spite of your plucking words completely out of context and implying that I had used them to insult you.<br /><br />If you continue your attack you risk being banned from this board, (not by me by the way). So does anyone who persists in war making.<br /><br />That would be a shame because you have a lot to offer. Why not just do that?<br /><br />I apologize again for any offense, real or imagined.

SCO

Lieutenant

Im the one that introduced "villain", and I couched it, on purpose, with "this thread", and about how I like your comments and debate in general. I already pologized for that term, and now you hold the apology against me. Doesnt mean I'm rolling over and I'll take this as far as you want given the indulgence of the board. Talk about giving you a flag to rally around. That was a big mistake to call you a villain because we lost track of the real debate. The real debate as I see it, in this discussion with you, is whether torque times rpm better describes power or whether power is better described as the rate that an engine can output energy or work...... Come on, all at once, lets all start laughing. This is hilarious. It's like a great episode of "King of the Hill".

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

SCO, I didn't think you called me a villian and I am not offended by your comments.<br /><br />I haver already stated that torque x rpm is essentially the same as "ability to do work". It is simply a mechanical engineer's way of saying the same thing that a physicist says when he says force x distance x time. <br /><br />The debate hasn't sounded to me like a "which is the better" explanation. It has sounded like a "which is correct" explanation. I will not agree that torque is not force<br /><br />I will be happy to debate that issue off line. This thread has already been derailed and mangled enough.<br /><br />If it will shut ForkedTongue up about what a bad guy JB is, I will agree to anything you propose.

SCO

Lieutenant

JB, I was addressing forktail with the villain comment. I called him that a few posts ago.I thought you and I were doing a tag team on forktail. Just kidding, I might stoop to that but know after a year of reading your posts that you wouldn't. Forktail, that was a good insight you shared about the torque quantity( in ft lbs) equaling the hp quantity at rpm of 5252. Thats a good rule to keep stored away. Thanks. Skinnywater, I know you are torqued at me because I'm a know it all. Rightly so. I don't expect that any repairs are forthcoming, but youre ok with me. I read some of your old posts and think we are practically twins politically. Finally, yes, the 5252 rule does apply to turbine engines, but since the max hp is at a much higher rpm than 5200, it is not so useful.

bass-adrift

Recruit

Mr. FTail,<br />I am forced for the second time to address your remarks being a (new) member of <br />this board and a new boater. The last time I started blabbing was when you <br />had a brain fart on Bombardier in the OMC Frank thread. At that time, you<br />represented yourself as a Bombardier expert and argued against artificial turf.<br />In that thread you hurled insults and demeaning remarks at OMCFrank.<br />The next time you spilled the beans, and jems dropped out of your<br />mouth, was the Andrew the Aussie Yamais are more expensive in Timbuktu than….!!, <br />in that thread you hurled insults at the Aussie calling him Androol!! The next time<br />you blessed us with your infinite wisdom was (if I remember correctly) the thread<br />on Yamaha’s vs other manufacturers, and now this. I am so insulted by your<br />condescending demeanor I had to crawl out my hole. I am a happy boater and would<br />not get into a mess like this (normally), I am not an engineer and I know nothing about<br />torque vs the price of eggplant in china. As many members have pointed out, you have<br />a good deal to contribute, but you are not TALKING TO SECOND CLASS BOATING<br />CITIZENS HERE. If anyone disagrees with you, you will try in every way possible to<br />come across as the final authority on the subject. Or in this case, have invented OB’s. <br />I started looking for your handle in the NASA and MIT brain surgery forums, but I was disappointed, you were not there. <br />Mr. Tail back off, you make any discussion on this forum boring. Make your comments short, take the condescending remarks out and maybe we will read and enjoy what you have to say, I have nothing against you, but you may not bore the hell out of us with your novels, I personally don’t have all day to read your slams against the great and good folks on this great forum. Thank you.<br />PS. JB is a moderator on this board; read my lips: a moderator, which entitles him to much more than you, as much as that bothers you, and it shouldn't .... try to take it in stride.

evin300

Petty Officer 1st Class

Evinrude 300......<br /><br />.....and 2-stroke chainsaws.....power is power, period! <br /><br />Nothing wrong with a good argument, if you cant handle having your feathers ruffled, then stay out of the thread.<br /><br /> No one ever said this had to be a love fest, did they? It seems that most folks dont like any confrontation, would rather ban you if they could.<br /><br />In the real world there are argumentative discussions, and sometimes they heat up. Lets keep it real here, please. :) <br /><br />P.S. hi Hooty, did ya get the rig runnin?

Forktail

Ensign

JB, after this I am done with you here.<br /><br />I will stoop to the level you have brought this just one more time, only because any good man would defend his integrity against false accusation. I replied to the original post to provide information. It is unfortunate that you could not accept what I said or how I said it. It is sad that you have labeled my factual and straight-line discussion here as argumentative and angry. It is even worse that your comments have gathered followers. <br /><br />"Why do you persist in repeating and repeating your JB bashing and baiting?"<br /><br />You will find nowhere throughout this entire thread where I have "bashed" or "baited" you JB. Please back up your accusation with an example. You will however, find some hypocrisy in yourself while calling me fork-tongued, angry, and argumentative. Your comments of 8th grade physics, YABUTS, feeling comfortable, and egos are about as "baiting" as it gets. <br /><br />"Your protestations of being a victim are ludicrous."<br /><br />Well JB, I'm sure if you, after providing much effort in a discussion, were called a villain, you would be the first to protest. In reality, you would not find it ludicrous. <br /><br />"…just an angry person who wont be consoled."<br /><br />I don't believe I have asked to be consoled. I have great confidence in myself. However, right or wrong I do ask to be respected by you.<br /><br />"I offered apologies to anyone who felt offended and stated that it was not my intent to offend anyone."<br /><br />Apologies are great until the need for them becomes habit. It isn't honorable to apologize for offending someone, and then offend them again. Soon apologies mean nothing. <br /><br />"You responded with a personal attack and name calling."<br /><br />Not hardly. But if you have an example to back up this serious accusation I will entertain. Be careful JB. <br /><br />"The deleted post is/was none of your business and had nothing to do with you. It was stupid of me to mention it."<br /><br />It was stupid. If a moderator deletes a post he has no need to tell the whole world why. That is "baiting".<br /><br />"I offered to continue our debate off line. You apparently require an audience."<br /><br />I don't converse off-line. And I don't consider this a "debate", but rather an exchange of knowledge and information. This information you may not always agree with JB, but this is no cause to take it off-line.<br /><br />"So far you have called me childish, personal and snide."<br /><br />No. I said, "A true villain's face is evidenced by the personal, childish, and snide remarks." If you consider yourself the villain here, then so be it.<br /><br />"in spite of your plucking words completely out of context and implying that I had used them to insult you."<br /><br />Well, you yourself did try to apologize for the insults, even to a point of asking me if I was "comfortable now?" That's like giving someone cookies without milk.<br /><br />"If you continue your attack you risk being banned from this board, (not by me by the way). So does anyone who persists in war making."<br /><br />Please consider yourself warned JB. :rolleyes: "Attack"? <br /><br />"I apologize again for any offense, real or imagined."<br /><br />Oh, not again. :rolleyes: <br /><br />SCO, bygones. I was just responding to Skinnywater about the villain thing. I realized how you meant it and I feel your meaning got distorted by others. I did appreciate the positive remarks you made about my information. <br /><br />Bassadrift, please don't distort other threads and try to make an analogy with them here. <br /><br />OMCFrank slammed the way Bombardier took over OMC. I represented the other side. Not everybody likes both sides. It was members like yourself that proclaimed me the "Bombardier expert", not me. In my opinion, Androol's thread about prices in Australia was a farce, and you supporting his crusade would be self-degrading.<br /><br />There is no requirement here to like someone's demeanor, or read these threads. And I agree, it would be nice to stick with the subject. JB, I don't care if you're a moderator, the president of the USA, or the Pope. You have gone overboard, and no good man should have to put up with this. I am done with you JB. Have at it.

rudeafrican

Petty Officer 1st Class

Oh man Forky, your poor wife must really hate arguing with you seeing that there is no chance that she could ever be right or have the last word! No wonder you have so much free time!! ;)

trollhole

Chief Petty Officer

Forktail what's up! Come on now I think you would argue just for the spite of argueing.
argue.gif
You just cannot let it go. And you definetly always have to have the last word. This forum is about opinions about boating and not about bashing people. Quit trying to prove everybody's wrong it only makes you look like you have a big head. Bashing someone only makes everybody on the board mad at you. And trust me you don't want that. Remember moose?<br />So I think we all need to just get back to the subject or just have JB close this post cause it can only get worse from here.<br /><br />By the way does anyone know the exact law that is going to ban 2 strokes in the future?<br /><br />Just my opinion take it with a grain of salt. :D

sloopy

Commander

evinrude 300 is back!!!!! yippie!!!!! YIPPIE!!!!<br /><br />were have you bean?

clanton

Rear Admiral

Sloopy I heard a V6 285HP and a 300HP

GIT YER Kleenex....Tampons....Wet Wipes.....Here....<br /><br />Any Cheese to go with that w(h)ine Ladies????<br /><br />Let it go... this thread has played out any useful information and turned into a *****anmoan thread....<br /><br />Please moderaters....lock it and spare us all...

Skinnywater

Commander

SCO, sincerely no harm done.<br /><br />JB, The www is a diverse place with different styles and perceptions. While Forktails persistant style differs with many, I certainly don't find it out of line......at all.<br />Just my opinion. <br />Thanks for the opportunity to express it.

StormRunner

Cadet

Hey wuzup with the real StormRunner thing and having a twin brother? Stormrunner is the name of my boat and my brother passed 5 years ago from cancer. I have few post because somewhere along the way they all disappeared from back to right after I first registered. I was at 50 or so. I follow all topics here not just forkys. It shows a little knowledge and a take no crap attitude scares some of you. It is rediculous how some of you beat up on forky. Try practicing what you preach.<br /><br />Cheers to all.