Fuel meter/ computer installation

jollymon

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am thinking about installing a NavMan Fish Finder with the Fuel management module. I have a couple of questions about the Fuel supply for a 90HP 2002 Mecury Classic.<br /><br />1. I think I read some where that I should not run this motor from a portable fuel tank. Is this True? If not why not. To callibrate the fuel meter NavMan says to use a known size tank of about 4 gallons. I would like to also use this as a backup tank. (25' poonton with 24 gallon tank) <br /><br />2. I need to install a filter before the flow sensor, does it go before or after the primer bulb?<br /><br />3. Does the filter need to be mounted or can I just put a inline filter?<br /><br />4. Any I missing anything I need to consider before I start this project?

Reel Appeal

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Fuel meter/ computer installation

Hello,<br /> I can't think of any logical reason why can't run your outboard from a portable tank.Maybe the fuel needs to be pre-filtered?Check your owners manual or ask a Merc dealer on this.You may have a hard time finding a 4 gal.tank.Six gal.tanks are more common.<br />As far as your second question....If you install a mounted/permanent filter(such as a Racor),the filter would be before the primer bulb.<br />If you were to install an inline filter,it can go after the primer bulb....<br /><br />I highly recommend installing the Racor filter.It is about the size of a large auto oil filter.The metal mounting "base" is installed on a vertical surface.The filter is metal w/a plastic bowl on the bottom.The translucent(blue) bowl has a drain plug on bottom and allows visual inspection..This filter seperates any water as well as filter the fuel.Installing this filter now will possibly prevent future carb/fuel problems."You will be glad you did. :D (In-line filters are not as good)<br />West Marine carrys all you'll need....You may need fuel line/clamps..<br />NOTE:When working around gasoline,take all precautions.Turn Off power/No smoking/No sparks. :)