Priming gas with water seperator

plztellme

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I installed a water seperator last year and the marina set it up. However, over the winter I drained the seperator, now I'm wondering how to prime the system so the gas flows through it?

Mad Dave

Cadet
Re: Priming gas with water seperator

Is the primer bulb upstream or downstream of your separator? If upstream, no problem. If downstream you may have to install another primer bulb upstream or move your current one.
I suppose you could fill up your separator with gas and go that route too.

Quad82

Seaman Apprentice

I drain my tank every spring and install a new filter. My primer ball is between the filter and motor. Point the ball up so the gas comming to it is at 6:00. This helps hold the gas in a vacume in case the 1-way valve in it isn't perfect. Pump till the ball is hard and the line and filter will be primed.

.... If upstream, no problem. If downstream you may have to install another primer bulb upstream or move your current one. I suppose you could fill up your separator with gas and go that route too.

It doesn't make any difference if the primer bulb is before or after the filter/separator, as long as the check valves in the primer bulb are seating properly and the seals on the filter/separator aren't leaking.

One thing the original post didn't mention is whether this is for an outboard or I/O, I think everyone is assuming outboard.

airshot

Rear Admiral

Just in case anyone is interested I did install a primer bulb in my fuel line for my I/O, just for the reason being ask in this thread.